Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unhappy Customer - Advice needed.. >

Unhappy Customer - Advice needed..

Unhappy Customer - Advice needed..

Old 02-10-2016, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
One of my LA friends----very good quilter-----has a contract that both parties must sign. A Crown Royal bag quilt is a specialty item in my opinion. One that would require a much higher price.
I agree. Before I touch any quilt, everything is written down and signed. That protects you and the customer. Expectations are understood by both parties.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:53 PM

In my area, those of us that long arm are also like Rosyhf--we have a minimum charge even if the quilt job is smaller--it takes time to load it and prepare to quilt regardless of size.

Speaking of size, a long arming friend of mine had a customer accuse her of "reducing the size of her quilt"! She actually thought the long armer had cut part of the quilt off and kept it! There's an instance where having the measurements written down would have been helpful!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:03 AM

I've only had one quilt quilted but I was told beforehand how much larger the backing and batting should be. I met with the quilter and we discussed what she would do and she had a written statement of her charges and I signed that. The only problem she had with the quilt is that I like to press my seams open and she wants to tell everyone that we should press them to one side. I kindly told her that I had a woman who quilts for Quilts of Valor that she wants them pressed open and I follow her advice. I probably won't use her again because of that. She did do a very good job.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:12 AM

Any time you're in business, at some point you're going to run into someone who wants something for nothing. My DH (who died in 2004) was a cabinet maker, really skilled in woodworking. He was frequently approached by building contractors who wanted him to make cabinets for a price that was less than the cost of the materials alone. We always refused those jobs -- what good is it to work yourself silly for a job that's a "lose-lose" situation from beginning to end. Yes, you were in business, but you're in business to make money, not give your labor away! I think I would probably would have suggested she go elsewhere, particularly after seeing the quilt top with all the cords, etc.

Jeanette
Old 02-11-2016, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
In my area, those of us that long arm are also like Rosyhf--we have a minimum charge even if the quilt job is smaller--it takes time to load it and prepare to quilt regardless of size.

Speaking of size, a long arming friend of mine had a customer accuse her of "reducing the size of her quilt"! She actually thought the long armer had cut part of the quilt off and kept it! There's an instance where having the measurements written down would have been helpful!
Sigh...................some people are just crazy!
Old 02-11-2016, 05:42 AM

I'm with all the others - you gave her the price, and even discounted the additional edging - if her sister didn't quilt it for her, there were reasons! My guess is she's a difficult person no matter where she goes, and expects to be rewarded by her pushy behavior. I think you did right - small town or not - this woman sounds like a walking time bomb for discounts she hasn't earned!
Old 02-11-2016, 05:46 AM

I think you're too cheap with your prices. I would have charged her $100 plus the extra
Old 02-11-2016, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think you were right in sticking to your price. However, in the future you might consider giving a written estimate in advance so that the customer sees the full price up front. You also have the right to refuse a quilt after you see it, if it involves more work than you are prepared to do for that price. I imagine her sister had already refused to quilt this for her.
When I had my son's quilt done professionally (my avatar), I signed a contract with her. I think I paid around $80 and she did an awesome job. Since you're starting out, maybe the written price and signed contract is done, everyone is in agreement. Don't let customers tell you what you should charge. You know what your time and talent is worth.
Good Luck in the future.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:22 AM

Your price is very reasonable. In the big city, we pay much more. Don't blame you for being a bit on the snippy side. If she has a sister who is willing to do for less, than she should have gone there in the first place. Something tells me her sister was too busy, or didn't want to do it. I try to spin what
I say to people so as to soften things, but she opened the door by mentioning her sister.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:24 PM

I agree with you all, keep your price you quoted. Do not give her a break, which you all ready did. I feel you were up front and honest. She will most likely be back when she realizes what you told her to begin with. Do not feel bad.

You did a good job.