Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unidentified UFOs >

Unidentified UFOs

Unidentified UFOs

Old 03-23-2015, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I like the purple and yellow string quilt but your sashing is much too wide for the size of the block. I like the black sashing because it makes the colors POP!! I would keep the embroidery blocks together since they were probably made by the same person. When finishing up other quilters blocks, I like to keep their original concept in mine. Refer to to the book that you have or use you computer program to come up with a different pattern. So many pretty fabric out there that could make these embroidery blcoks sing.
I agree that the mock up has sashing that is too wide...it's simply the best I could do with the computer programs I currently have available. The finished blocks will be 4-1/2 inches and I was planning a 1 inch sashing. I don't want to overwhelm the blocks with the sashing.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 AM

Jan in Va...thanks for the info about the fusible...I'll pick some up...JoAnne's is already on my list for the next time I go to Springfield...I fell in love with a space fabric that a new member used for OBW and want to see if our local shop carries it.

EmiliasNana...thanks for the link. One of my husband's aunts saw some of the blocks and fell in love with them...she embroiders avidly...so I will likely set them all together and gift the finished quilt to her. I think that I may embroider a few of my personal favorites to make a series of seasonal wall hangings. I do like the idea of keeping the original artist's work together, even though she will remain anonymous.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 AM

The string quilt remake is fantastic but I do agree that the sashing is too wide. I like the black best, but it overpowers the small, lovely blocks. Maybe a rethink?
Old 03-23-2015, 07:23 AM

I like your string quilt! I don't like the tan sashing; I think it overwhelms the blocks. Same for the black but to a lesser degree. Personally, I would use purple to bring out the purple in the blocks......unless, of course, that means having to go buy purple and you want to use from your stash. In that case, I'd go with black.

The bird blocks are nice. I'd probably put them all together in one quilt, kookaburas and penquins alike. Birds of a Feather kind of thing.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

What a fantastic find. The black sashing really makes the scrappy blocks stand out, but I was drawn toward the first with the cream sashing for some reason. Love the embroidered bird blocks. I had to chuckle a little when I first saw the blocks as one of my SIL's had sent me embroidered state birds, which her grandson has requested that she make into a quilt. She would like me to make it queen size, however, I haven't had time to calculate the size of the quilt yet as I'm on a deadline to make the family reunion quilt for this July 4th. I need to get the top finished so that I can send it to my niece to quilt as I will be having surgery May 8 to replace my right shoulder, so I will be out of commission for several weeks. I like Jan in VA's suggestion of a lightweight fusible to help stabilize the embroidered blocks as the fabric is somewhat thin. I just love the QB and everyone on it as I can always find inspiration, as well as great tips for my quilting. Thanks to all, I consider you friends in quilting.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:41 PM

How wonderful to find these treasures! I agree that the lighter sashing is nicer on the string quilt. If I had the embroidered birds, I would use them all, just to keep them together, assuming the person who did them had a reason for doing the "odd" ones. That is beautiful embroidery.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:09 PM

For the embroidered bird blocks, I think they are just are awful and you should just send them to me to dispose of, LOL!!!!!!!

Before someone freals out, I was truly just kidding!!
Old 03-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Fun finds, and future neat projects!
Old 03-23-2015, 05:23 PM

I'm assuming that the one on the top left is on you design board with no sashing. I would sash it in the same grey as your board and the same width.