Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unidentified UFOs >

Unidentified UFOs

Unidentified UFOs

Old 03-21-2015, 10:02 PM

Default Unidentified UFOs

PROJECT ONE:In cleaning my sewing room and sorting through boxes of fabric I've found odds and ends that I'd forgotten or never known that I had...first is an old string quilt top...it was hand sewn on what looks to be the pages of a novel (from the bits left in the seams)...some of the fabric was disintegrating (all sorts of fabrics were included); however, most of the teals, greens, blues and purples were still stable. I decided to take it apart and add some fabrics from my stash to make a fun and colorful curtain for the laundry room (near the sewing room). My daughter saw the blocks and hinted, so now it will become a throw for her. The first picture shows the original quilt compared to some of the blocks on my design wall. I'd planned to use black sashing but looking at the pictures on the design wall, I though that cream or tan might also look nice...so the 2nd picture compares mock-ups...what do you all think looks best? I plan to tie with different sizes of blue, green & purple buttons and pearl cotton. PROJECT TWO: Embroidered bird blocks (24 different birds, outlined stitched)...not sure where these came from but I had them in a box with other embroidered blocks (likely a Christmas gift from family because I like embroidery and quilting). Ironically, less than 24 hours after finding the blocks and wondering about the designs and why someone would chose these particular birds, I came across a picture of these very same bird blocks on page 111 of Ruby McKim's 101 Patchwork Patterns...one mystery solved anyway. I've included a few pictures of some of my favorites. The embroidery is very finely wrought but I actually don't like the design of several of the birds. Also, I don't feel like the birds all go together very well, a kookaburra and an emperor penguin just seem out of place with quail and ducks. My question is should I keep these all together or use just the ones I like or feel go together to create several small projects? As always, I value your experienced and artistic feedback.
Attached Thumbnails string-history-sm.jpg   black-tan-sm.jpg   mckim-birds.jpg   mckim-cardinal.jpg   mckim-owl.jpg  

mckim-whipporwill.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 03:08 AM

What an awesome find..
Old 03-22-2015, 04:32 AM

I did a little research online and found that these patterns were originally published by Ruby McKim in 1928 as Bird Life/Audobon Quilt Book. So now I know that the blocks were completed sometime after that.

QUESTION: In using these blocks for projects...the muslin seems a little thin...should I add a stabilizer and if so, which one(s) do you recommend? I'd like them to remain soft and pliable for any cozy projects. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

I like the purple and yellow string quilt but your sashing is much too wide for the size of the block. I like the black sashing because it makes the colors POP!! I would keep the embroidery blocks together since they were probably made by the same person. When finishing up other quilters blocks, I like to keep their original concept in mine. Refer to to the book that you have or use you computer program to come up with a different pattern. So many pretty fabric out there that could make these embroidery blcoks sing.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:00 PM

I, too, would use the black sashing but be careful with the buttons for a throw. If your daughter lays on it, the buttons may hurt a little. As far as the birds, I would go with a yellow, blue or red sashing and maybe a cornerstone in another color. Then add one or two borders. It will be lovely. Google the 30's quilts and maybe you can see something there that will inspire you. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:48 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Joanne has a fusible featherweight interlining material, 30" wide between $1.9-$4 per yd. I've used it twice in two African lapas fabric commissioned quilts - some of the fabrics just were not as stable as I'd have liked so the fusible worked very well for me, making the poor ones very little more 'substantial' than the regular cottons.

Jan in VA
Old 03-22-2015, 02:30 PM

I like the green, purple, teal blocks without sashing the best.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

lucky you, great find!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:56 AM
Power Poster

I am sure if I got around to doing this I would find many also.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:54 AM

Feline Fanatic posted this quilt, Birds of a feather finished, a week or so ago. You might change your mind on the birds after you see how gorgeous they look after the magic of Feline's quilting.
I really like your make-over quilt. That must have taken a lot of work though, replacing fabric in each block.......WOW. The end result will be worth it I'm sure.