Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unusual fabric find >

Unusual fabric find

Unusual fabric find

Old 05-20-2011, 04:20 AM

Thanks for sharing the info. My dh and I are taking the Alaska cruise in July. Can not wait. I am for sure going to stop there.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
You are definitely hard core! Go on an Alaskan cruise, and check out the quilt store!

I hope you enjoyed yourselves - I've seen brochures and talked to people who've gone, it's supposed to be beautiful!
I like to get things as a remembeance of where I have been - and what better than to find something that I love that I work into my house! much better than a mug made in China!! - The different fabrics were amazing to me - which is why I wanted to share the find ! - and in a town of about 3000 people !
Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 AM

Yup, been to that shop when DH & I took an Alaskin cruise. Just loved all their animal prints. Thanks for posting. Lost their site address & still need some speciality fabrics to finish wall hanging I'm planning on making for DH.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:18 AM

Thanks for sharing! What beautiful fabrics!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:22 AM

I have a few quilting friends that lived in Alaska and they still order fabrics from the shops there. They enjoy all the wildlife prints and make wonderful quilts from them!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MYWR
Just came home from a short Alaskan Cruise and found the best quilt shop in the tiny town of Skagway AK. They have fabrics kits, boolt, special cuts of fabrics I have never seen befoe -- good quality and good prices as well
They have animal prints - bears, moose, whales etc - wooded scenes - birds - northern lights and for those of you who also knit and crochet - alaskan yarns
check this out: www.quiltalaska.com
www.changingthreads.com
their fabrics are high quality and not real pricey (1/2 yd for $5.25-$5.50) and they have some unusual kits as well. They ship USPS - what a great surprise I came home to !
aren't they great..I miss living in AK...most of the shops pool their resources and special order those fabrics just for their AK shop kits. Thanks for reminding me that the fabrics I need for my cousins AK quilt are best found in AK....
Old 05-20-2011, 05:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JulieTN
HEY THANKS FOR THE LINKS!

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A QUILTER, WHEN????? YOU TAKE A CRUISE AND FIND A SHOP!

:D Julie
in Ketchikan the quilt shop deliberately opened at the docking station!...Juneau has one but it is out by the airport, Valdez has one but it is not near the ports, there are a few out there, but not many at the ship ports...
Old 05-20-2011, 05:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MYWR
Originally Posted by Prissnboot
You are definitely hard core! Go on an Alaskan cruise, and check out the quilt store!

I hope you enjoyed yourselves - I've seen brochures and talked to people who've gone, it's supposed to be beautiful!
I like to get things as a remembeance of where I have been - and what better than to find something that I love that I work into my house! much better than a mug made in China!! - The different fabrics were amazing to me - which is why I wanted to share the find ! - and in a town of about 3000 people !
HA>..nearly everything you find in the tourist shops in AK are made in China...which is truly sad because there are such wonderful artists and craftsmen in AK...Juneau is the only town where the PORT area is in the Arts disctrict...they planned it that way!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 AM

Yes Alaska is beautiful and you cannot explain it to someone who has never been there. Have a daughter who is a paralegal and spent numerous trips there for the Valdeze oil spill case and said you have to go, so we did, four days on land and 5 days on cruise ship.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:28 AM

my husband and I had this trip planned for last year, we booked Norwegian Cruse Line and had a balcony room booked, tours all booked then we both lost our jobs oh it was so maddening. everything went wrong!!!!