Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusual fabric find

Blog Entries
    Just came home from a short Alaskan Cruise and found the best quilt shop in the tiny town of Skagway AK. They have fabrics kits, boolt, special cuts of fabrics I have never seen befoe -- good quality and good prices as well
    They have animal prints - bears, moose, whales etc - wooded scenes - birds - northern lights and for those of you who also knit and crochet - alaskan yarns
    check this out: www.quiltalaska.com
    www.changingthreads.com
    their fabrics are high quality and not real pricey (1/2 yd for $5.25-$5.50) and they have some unusual kits as well. They ship USPS - what a great surprise I came home to !

Thanks for sharing! I hope you had fun on your cruise, that is one that I want to take someday.

Thanks. Hope you enjoyed the cruise.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing. Would love to do the AK cruise one day.

Blog Entries
    oh my goodness- $5.25- $5.50 a half yard is (good prices) in your world??? i am so sorry---
    that comes out to $10.50-$11 a yard!!! that is WAY EXPENSIVE in my world.
    a really really good sale would make those prices maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of my willingness to even look...at those prices i can not afford to even click on their web site...wow-
    Quote Originally Posted by MYWR
    Just came home from a short Alaskan Cruise and found the best quilt shop in the tiny town of Skagway AK. They have fabrics kits, boolt, special cuts of fabrics I have never seen befoe -- good quality and good prices as well
    They have animal prints - bears, moose, whales etc - wooded scenes - birds - northern lights and for those of you who also knit and crochet - alaskan yarns
    www.changingthreads.com
    their fabrics are high quality and not real pricey (1/2 yd for $5.25-$5.50) and they have some unusual kits as well. They ship USPS - what a great surprise I came home to !

everything is more expensive in Alaska!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Hope you had a fabulous trip!! :D:D

Blog Entries
    I just checked out their site. They have some beautiful Northen Lights fabrics. I just emailed them and asked if they do swatches as I would love to make a quilt one day and use some of the northern lights oh yeahhhhh.....

You are definitely hard core! Go on an Alaskan cruise, and check out the quilt store!

I hope you enjoyed yourselves - I've seen brochures and talked to people who've gone, it's supposed to be beautiful!

Power Poster
    Lots of wildlife! Thanks for sharing!

Went and looked at the first website, wow what beautiful fabrics they carry. Found a couple I wouldn't mind spending that kind of money on, IF I was better at quilting and had specific project in mind, like for a quilt for a gift for a wedding or something like that. But mostly they are out of my price range. Thanks for sharing the sites though.

Did you find any other shops while ashore in other towns/ I loved the one in Juneau

Blog Entries
    I hope you enjoyed your cruise to Alaska as much as the one I went on several years ago! It was an experience I will NEVER forget. If I could afford to do it again, I would do it in the blink of an eye!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks for the link!! The store looks amazing! :D

Love the fabrics.

Thanks for sharing......a trip to Alaska is also on our "list" and it is nice to think there will be some quilting diversions on the trip.....

neat shop! thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by MYWR
    www.changingthreads.com
    DH and I also took the Alaskan cruise several years ago. Great trip. Every place we docked, I looked in the phonebook for the fabric shops. When we were there, I found very few.

HEY THANKS FOR THE LINKS!

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A QUILTER, WHEN????? YOU TAKE A CRUISE AND FIND A SHOP!

:D Julie

I found that shop and two more at other stops on my cruise to Alaska 6 or 7 years ago. We are going again the end of July. I hope I have a chance to hit them all again. I made a wallhanging from some fabric I purchased in Alaska on my previous cruise. It hangs in my TV room as a pleasant reminder of that cruise. Naturally everything in Alaska costs more since it all is either shipped or flown in from the lower 48 or elsewhere. Many places in Alaska are only available by small plane.

Thanks for sharing the info. My dh and I are taking the Alaska cruise in July. Can not wait. I am for sure going to stop there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    You are definitely hard core! Go on an Alaskan cruise, and check out the quilt store!

I hope you enjoyed yourselves - I've seen brochures and talked to people who've gone, it's supposed to be beautiful!
    I like to get things as a remembeance of where I have been - and what better than to find something that I love that I work into my house! much better than a mug made in China!! - The different fabrics were amazing to me - which is why I wanted to share the find ! - and in a town of about 3000 people !

Yup, been to that shop when DH & I took an Alaskin cruise. Just loved all their animal prints. Thanks for posting. Lost their site address & still need some speciality fabrics to finish wall hanging I'm planning on making for DH.

Thanks for sharing! What beautiful fabrics!

I have a few quilting friends that lived in Alaska and they still order fabrics from the shops there. They enjoy all the wildlife prints and make wonderful quilts from them!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast