Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Unwashed vs. Washed Fabric

If it isn't for a swap I don't prewash. The only exception is batiks..always prewash. I think the prewashed fabric is more stable and easier to work with.

I used to wash all my fabric but I no longer do. I really prefer the "old fashioned" wrinkly look in quilts, plus I prefer the "feel" of the unwashed when working with it. I do wash flannel, unless it's for rag quilts and batiks before I use them though. I really think it's a personal preference.

Banned
    if you search on the su subject you will find many many posts on this subject.

bj
    I don't usually prewash anything, except flannel. But I do wash my quilts before I gift them to get the chemicals out of the fabric. :D

I am working on a lap quilt now that I made of a jelly roll and will be backing with flannel. I did wash the flannel because I know how that shrinks but not the jelly roll. I figured I'd end up with a lot of fabric lost in the fringe. When I am completely done with the quilt, I'll throw it in the washer (with color catchers) and then in the dryer and pray for a good outcome!

I always wash my fabrics. They hit the door, then to the laundry room. The smells of the chemicals on the fabrics bothers me. I use vinegar in the rinse water too. :)

Blog Entries
    um... what's a color catcher? I gather it pulls bled color out of the water and keeps it from going on to other fabric? huh? HOW does it to DO that? :-)

I usually prewash and at times was in a hurry to begin a quilt and didn't wash the fabrics and everything worked out OK.
    My problem now is that DIL asked me to make her a quilt, she's paying for all the materials and quilting. She picked out a kit from Connecting Threads that has has lots of blues and creams and some cranberry. Fabric feels a little thin, would hate to have it shrink and/or color bleed when she has to the quilt. I could give her some color catchers but will she remember them when she has to wash the quilt in the future? Will the fabrics shrink and the quilt look wrinkled and she won't like? I plan to use Quilter's Dream Poly batting, will that shrink the quilt up a little when it's washed? Think after typing this out I've convinced myself to prewash the fabrics, better to safe than sorry. May in Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    um... what's a color catcher? I gather it pulls bled color out of the water and keeps it from going on to other fabric? huh? HOW does it to DO that? :-)
    Don't know how it does that but it does. May in Jersey

Blog Entries
    I very rarely wash my fabrics unless I know it is OLD and is black, dk green, red or any dark color that may bleed a lot. I buy lower price fabrics from Hancocks, Joanns and a Fabric Outlet and do not have any problems. Bought a dark green at a LQS, tried a small piece in hot water - it bled! Go figure.

I ALWAYS wash flannels because they shrink so much!

I only pre-wash flannel. Never jelly rolls..they will come apart!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    I never prewash my fabric (smile). It is a matter of preference for most people.
    Ditto :D

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    I only pre-wash flannel. Never jelly rolls..they will come apart!
    ;-) Hi, As I said in an early post I had pre-washed some JellyRolls the only thing that happened was that they did srink some but I was able to iron them back in shape. The fabric didn't fall apart but it would have saved time if they had not been pre washed. I am making a rail fence quilt and you can't tell from the fabric if I pre washed or not. Maybe I was just lucky this time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2