Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UPDATE on "Is this Cheating" >

UPDATE on "Is this Cheating"

UPDATE on "Is this Cheating"

Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 PM

Kudos to you! I'm all about being respectful to others; however, there are some folks in this world that refuse to allow you to be so..... and you have to draw the line. Sounds to me like you drew the line today!

{{Smiles}}
Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

Good for you! I bet you feel better too, now!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 PM

How do u get the horse and smile faces on here, would love to do a dog
Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 PM

I see u r from Wisconsin, Go Pack Go.....I live about 30 m. from Green Bay, not sure where u r
Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Mom or not, she should have kept her opinion to herself. You should be proud of yourself for stating the truth.

Everyone does quilting different, that's what makes it so great. I do binding like that on some of my quilts because I like the way it looks and feels.

Keep quilting the way you want your quilts to be.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Yea! You stood up for yourself and it's a beginning. Just continue to sand firm on your decisions and your stress level will decrease and life in general will improve. This goes for everyone, not just your mother.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 PM

Good for you. My Mom is very opinionated about everything I do also. She can dish it , but cant take. I dont like confrontation, recently she made a big scene in public. I ended up very politely but firmly telling her I am all grown up and I do things my way now. She wasnt happy about that, but now she holds her tongue. lol Keep strong, and keep quilting your way.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 PM
pab

The New England Quilt Museum in Lowell,Mass. exhibits many quilts.tied and other wise,bindings no bindings. Pls also check out the Smithsonian Institute in Washington Dc and a good look will show your method of finishi ng a quilt. pab
Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 PM

Good for you! Isn't it awful that even when we are in our 50's & 60's our mothers have the power (given by us!) to have us shaking!

I'll bet that if she ever does talk with you again, there will be a little more respect from her.

(((hugs))))

Just had to laugh at myself. My 40+ DD lives next door with her family, but whenever we go out on errands and stuff, I always ask her if she needs to go potty first! So now SHE asks ME and we both laugh.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Good for you. I have had to do this about a few "issues" when my mom gets critical of how I do something. Usually it is with how to "handle" my marriage. If it were up to her, I would be divorced and living in a house right next to them where she could daily tell me what I am doing wrong as a parent.

As much as we love our moms, I really believe they need to be reminded that we are our own persons and are capable of making decisions without needing their advice and opinions every step of the way. By telling your mom what you did, you reaffirmed that you are your own person and have every right to do your quilt the way you want, regardless of her perceptions of what is "cheating." The only "cheating" in quilting in my book is when you take credit for someone else's work (as in a quilt swap block quilt or something of that nature and you claim the quilt as your own work.)

Don't cave and call her. Don't apologize. That is probably why she hasn't called you yet. She probably wants you to take the blame for her behavior and by not talking to you, is hoping you will start to feel guilty. DON'T!