Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Update to "Mourning At My House"

Thanks to everyone for all the good wishes and thoughts for my ailing Bernina. It's so good to have friends who really care in times of trouble.
    I'm happy to report that my baby is now home. In fact, she's rather feisty since her return. She has a smile I haven't seen for a while and it makes me happy to hear her "run."
    The bad news is; I've subsequently been named "worst mother of the year." It seems she was suffering from
    "malnutrition" and "lint balls."
    She was given a transfusion of lubricant and had some minor surgery to remove impacted fuzzies. :oops:

I've been placed on probation until I can demonstrate
    proper care for my beloved, and I must read a chapter from the Bernina Owner's Manual everyday for a week.
    I may be subjected to unannounced home visits for random inspections of my baby's care. Whew!
    Now in a serious vein: My poor Bernina merely needed cleaning and oil. I had not taken her for a tune up for two years. My lint removal evidently was not suffricient.
    A most interesting fact is that I had sewn 4,475,487 stitches since her last tune up. I guess Bernina's really do last forever!

Blog Entries
    You had better take care of that baby:):):):)

Blog Entries
    please take care of your sewing machine

Blog Entries
    Bad, bad mommy. :)

mine just hit 2 million. I guess I should take it in. I do clean it and oil after every project...

Lint can really hide and build up, I think it reproduces so much lint comes out when I clean, hate to think what is going to be said when I take mine in for it's "spa" treatment. glad she is happy again for you.

Power Poster
    Glad she is up and running!

Everybody deserves a second chance.....now make the best of it!!!LOL Seriously, I'm glad she's home safe and doing well.

4.5 million stitches?!? What are you doing over there? Good for you! Take your slap on the wrist and your baby will forgive you and you can shoot for 10 million stitches. Glad she's home!

glad she is working!

This may seem like a dumb question, but is there a counter somewhere on all Bernina's or just select ones? I have a Bernina and know nothing of a counter. Help!!!

I put 3 million stitches on my Bernina in 8 months.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
    Everybody deserves a second chance.....now make the best of it!!!LOL Seriously, I'm glad she's home safe and doing well.
    I agree. We won't call BPS this time lol :thumbup:
    Happy sewing again!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Blog Entries
    I'm glad to hear she is back home and doing better now :)

Quote Originally Posted by spartan quilter
    This may seem like a dumb question, but is there a counter somewhere on all Bernina's or just select ones? I have a Bernina and know nothing of a counter. Help!!!
    As a Bernina owner, I too would like to know if there is a counter on them somewhere and if so where? I have had my 930 over 30 years so I imagine there is a stitch or two on it. :mrgreen:

Good thing she is feeling better. I was at my sewing repair shop and a lady had brought hers in and they said that she never cleaned under her plate it was so bad that it would have cost more to repair it than to purchase a new machine. So I rushed home and removed my plate and found some lint thankfully but man that made me really take more care of my machine. It is so easy to forget under the plate. Good think she is better!!!

There is a counter, but hidden inside. I don't know if all Berninas have it, but I suspect they all do. My repairman had to open the case to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabby Patty
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan quilter
    As a Bernina owner, I too would like to know if there is a counter on them somewhere and if so where? I have had my 930 over 30 years so I imagine there is a stitch or two on it. :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    I have foster care experience, just in case you lose custody.

That's a lot of stitches! I have not taken mine in for about 2 years-but I know I haven't had near that many stitches-but need to add tht to my list of things to do.

Blog Entries
    Take care of your baby!

I'm an X-sewing machine tech. The easiest way to self clean your machines at home is the following:
    Take a piece of cardboard light weight (not card stock) cut a circle and mark an X in the middle. Be sure the circle is larger than the vacuum hose. Tape straw to circle. Leave one piece of straw storter on one side. Make sure the circle is larger than the vacuum hose by about 1/2 an inch.

When you vacuum - remove the throat plate from your machine - stick one end of the cardboard w/straw in the vacuum hose. The vacuum will hold the circle in place. Now stick the other straw end inside the throat plate and move it around to get the lint out. This will remove the lint and many times will help stop empacted lint from forming.

If you can find some oil called "Tri Flow" get it. This oil is for small working parts (not plastic) that get used a lot, like sewing machines. It is not and will not get gummy and is the only oil most machine repair people use. It comes with a little plastic hose to insert in the top when cap is removed. Shake well before you use it and oil every thing that is a metal parts that moves, oil it. Most sewing machine repair people will not tell you about this product, it's a well kept secret.

For the lady that was threading her needle with presser foot down - The reason you thread a needle up is to not reset your tension disk. When you thread your needle down, you pull the thread and that throws the tension disk out of alignment.

I hope this helps.

Phaedra

Glad she is home, be good to her!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info phaedra! I'll try that vacuum trick today! Last time I took mine in, it was so linty/hairy, the poor machine looked like a kitten and I DO clean it!!! I use a long soft bristled paint brush to brush the lint out and towards the front of the machine.

Thanks for the info on cleaning and oiling Phaedra...I have a Jonome6600 but I guess this could be use on it as well. Thanks again

Blog Entries
    We should all learn from your ailing Bernina. I don't want to be on the no sew most wanted list

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast