Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Upper Thread

Upper Thread

When I sew my upper thread is loose. Is this the upper tension? Do I have to change the number or did I do something else wrong? Thanks

Make sure your tension discs are not full of lint. Run a pipe cleaner in there. Then be sure when you thread the machine that the thread is all the way down into the tension discs.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you have the same thread in the bobbin? Threads of different weights can cause tension issues. Have you tried completely unthreading the machine and rethreading? For me, that's always the likeliest source of the problem.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    Both quilts and husbands help keep you warm,
    but quilts never grumble when you buy more fabric.

To assure the thread gets into the tension disk, when threading the upper thread, have the pressure foot up. This releases the tension disk so the thread can easily between the disks.

After you clean the tension disks, loosen the top tension and tighten the bottom. Use two different colors of thread on a contrasting fabric so you can inspect for balance.

Blog Entries
    Check to be sure you have threaded the machine correctly.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

You won't be able to follow the suggestion to clean between the tension disks on most recent machines because they are inaccessible and out of sight. (This is a pet peeve of mine after years of having access to that basic area of my machines.) It might help if we knew the make and model of your machine.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.