Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use Cotton Fabric only question >

Use Cotton Fabric only question

Use Cotton Fabric only question

Old 12-10-2010, 08:00 AM

I use what I have and what I like. You should, too!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Go ahead and use it. I have done some blended quilts in the past because if liked the fabric. If you have a lot you might consider keeping it together and making quilts that have all polly cotton. Like some one mentioned our ancestors used everything they could get their hands on. Many in store bought comforters and bedding are blends of cotton and polyester.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. I actually bought a lot of cotton on sale today at JoAnne so feel like my cotton stash is growing at last. I really wanted to use the blends and now that I have several of you saying it is OK I will do it without feeling I am doing it all wrong.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:41 PM

Use them. My Grandmother made me a quilt out of her Dacron (remember that?) dress scraps. It had a cotton batting and a blend back. It was wonderful. It's needed some patches over the last 50 years but I still have it.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:32 PM

I would not use the blends for quilts. You put too much labor into quilts and want them to turn out as good as you can and the blends could mess you up. i picked some of these when I first started quilting and did not know. This is my opinon. Don't throw the material out. Use for other small things. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:34 PM

If you are a 'purist' you will only use cotton. Crazy quilters and art quilters use anything that works. If you bought good quality material, it should outlive your lifetime, so I would not worry about it and get stuck into the love of quilting - enjoy and don't be restricted by stuffy rules. The only time I would worry is if you wanted to exhibit in particular shows - then you would need to abide by the guidelines. Hope you have many enjoyable hours.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned

This is just an aside, and I know many will take offense at it, but this is something I've thought a lot about. People who make quilts for various charities seem to sometimes feel that they don't have to take as much trouble with these as they do with quilts or other projects that they make for their own use, family members or others that they are close to, including using materials that are of poorer quality than they would otherwise use, or workmanship that they don't have to be as proud of.

To me, (and I make many quilts for a charity) it's very important to do the very best job I can and the best materials that I'm able to for people that I know are in some sort of difficult position, whether sick or abused children, soldiers home from war, unwed mothers, etc. It seems to me that if I'm going to do these charity projects at all that I'd like to know that the recipients have gotten the very best I can do and provide for them. That's just IMHO, anyway.

Dana
Old 12-10-2010, 06:30 PM

placemats, napkins and table toppers, runners
Old 12-10-2010, 07:21 PM

I have collected fabric over the years also, and I've decided, I'm not going to just get rid of the blends. Most have color,designs that work with a lot of others, and I';ve decided to use them as backing, prewashing all, of course
Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
I have collected fabric over the years also, and I've decided, I'm not going to just get rid of the blends. Most have color,designs that work with a lot of others, and I';ve decided to use them as backing, prewashing all, of course
Prewashing is a must---learned that about 50 years ago from the lady that taught me to sew. I have decided that if I am making the quilt for myself----then I will use the fabrics that make me pleased with the end result.