Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Used Desk for Sewing??? >

Used Desk for Sewing???

Used Desk for Sewing???

Old 04-12-2020, 08:53 PM

I love my office desk. It's L-shaped which means I have lots of room for bigger projects. I don't like to have it recessed, I have a long torso and recessing my machine would make it too short for me. I say go for it.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:30 AM

An old student desk was my sewing area for many years. I set the machine on top of it and sat on a pillow to raise me to the right height. Now I have a separate table for my sewing machine with a recessed area, but I still use the old desk for cutting and also as a desk. I just bought some risers that I will put under the desk legs so cutting will be easier on my back. I love the drawers, though. They hold most of what I need for quilting.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:04 AM

This post is fortuitous! My 40 year old cabinet needs replacing, and I am waiting for social shopping to begin again! I had been looking at cabinets online to no avail, must experience in person. I will search desks! Thanks
Old 04-13-2020, 06:20 AM

I have an old oak desk.no cutout. I love it and use it everyday with whatever machine I decide to use. Go grab a desk ASAP.❤️
Old 04-13-2020, 07:17 AM

I have a desk for my sewing table as well. I think I only spent $45 on it at a garage sale. I liked it because it has two flip up extensions on the ends - extra room for quilts on my left while quilting. My husband cut a recess for my original machine. When I upgraded, I also got a Sew Steady Extension table so we covered the recess hole with a piece of peg board and sawed the legs down to change the height. It’s a Franken-desk for sure, but it was inexpensive and I don’t feel bad adjusting it as needed.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:20 AM

I have seen a lot of old desks used in sewing rooms. Some people put a piece of plywood on top and then a cutting mat or cover the wood with batting and muslin and use it as an ironing area. I think you are on the right track for getting an old desk to use. Good luck to you
Old 04-13-2020, 12:24 PM

I was furnishing my apt. from scratch and got two matching desks/tables at a thrift store, about $50 each. One for computer and one for sewing. They had 5 total, now I am wishing I got a third one! Each has two drawers.
Attached Thumbnails desk.jpg  
Old 04-13-2020, 02:36 PM

Thanks for all your help! I had no idea so many people used desks. I had also wondered (but didn't think to ask) about cutting out a recess for the machine. I am glad several people responded to this. I had been pleasantly surprised at how well just setting the machine on top of the dining room table had worked. I think I'll just leave my machine on top of the desk, too, as it will also be easier to access the bobbin.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:45 AM

Oh yes, it can work very well. I had a desk that I used for years. I didn't mind the extra higher inch or so and became very accustomed to it and really had fewer back issues since I was not bending as far. I used my mom's sewing table for years. My sister has it now and when I sit at it if feels so low. Now my machine sits on top of my treadle. It is a bit higher like a desk, and works perfect. Go for it!
Old 04-14-2020, 06:49 PM

I have one of my machines on an old oak writing desk I bought probably 30 years ago for about $20. It works great and has a draw to store stuff