Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Used HQ Avante - Is this a good value? >

Used HQ Avante - Is this a good value?

Used HQ Avante - Is this a good value?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM

Default Used HQ Avante - Is this a good value?

Well, last night, I posted about a friend who had the opportunity to purchase a used machine and asked about stitch count. She's decided to pass on this and I'm thinking I might want to buy it.

It's an approximately 2 year old HQ Avante with a 12 foot frame. As stated last night, it has a little over 2 million stitches. My friend's friend is asking $6200 for the machine. It comes with all of its original accessories and a few - not too many - extras.

Just wondering what you all think of this? Thanks very much.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

I haven't researched this particular machine, but that sounds like a very good deal to me! You might be able to find some comparison machines at these used websites:
http://www.longarmuniversity.com/machines_for_sale.htm
http://www.houseofhanson.com/formerlyowned.html
Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 AM

I bought my Avante, previously owned, at a similar price, and have never regretted it. It was heavily used in a quilt shop by several students, teachers, and renting quilters. I've quilted with it for two years now with no problems. The owner was a dealer. She serviced, then set up the machine for me in my home.

Last edited by DebraK; 04-16-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:56 AM

Put things in perspective, 12' frame alone would cost you an arm and a leg. Although I have not researched the machine itself, it sounds like a reasonable price to me. As posted in your previous thread, 2 million stitches is really not that much. What is really important is how well maintained the machine is. Try it and see how it works. Run your hand or a soft cloth on the frame and carriage runners to clean them of any possible threads/lint and give it a good test - straight lines of various speed, quick turns and micro stippling will give you a pretty good idea. Look at both top and bottom stitches, the bobbin area, and the machine in general. There are no guaranties even when you buy a brand new one. Do you know why is she selling it? Good luck!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a decent price. Can you go test drive it! Take a list of questions with you too.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I think it is probably a decent price, but not a "I'll never be able to find it that cheap again so I have to have it" price. You can find lots of longarms at a decent price, including new ones. If you have actually decided to buy a longarm, you really should look at all machines available and decide which features you really need or want in a longarm. Does this machine have those features? Are you happy with the size throat on the machine? Is it easy to maintain? $6200 is a lot of money, but it may be worth it to pay more to get exactly what you want.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:25 PM

Thank you for your replies and suggestions - I'm a little late extending my thanks.

We did end up buying the machine however my friend was very mixed up on the price and it was quite a bit less than what she quoted. Needless to say, I'm VERY satisfied. It's was very well cared for and works very smoothly. We started putting it back together today and hope to finish tomorrow.

We checked out all the brands last year at MQX and my heart was set on the Innova - Handiquilter was my second choice. As this is my first longarm, I'll enjoy it and am sure it will meet my needs for a long time.

Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:39 PM

I would be jumping with oy if I was you. My SIL just bought a new HQ Avante for about $12,000 so if you got one 2 years old for less than $6200, I think you got a very good deal. My best firend has an HQ Avante and loves it and has had it almost 2 years and has had no troubles with it. Enjoy!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:19 PM

Good for you! I'm so glad you now have a quilting machine, and you LIKE it and got a great deal! Applause everyone!