Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
used machines, seller says "bought and never used it"???? >

used machines, seller says "bought and never used it"????

used machines, seller says "bought and never used it"????

Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I think some people have more money than sense.
I agree with Jan. One certainly doesn't buy a car and let it sit in a garage!!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:33 AM

I bought a nice machine for DIL a couple of years ago(she asked for a machine)...she had it out of the box once. I taught her to thread it and how to change stitches, etc.
That was that...box is accumulating lots of dust on top of it.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:40 AM

I know people do this, but also keep in mind machines, like anything else, are sometimes stolen. I saw a man walk right out of Walmart one day with a fast excuse to the clerk about he already paid, but needed a bag. She was busy with customers and didn't even try to stop him or call security. We both knew he was stealing the machine.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
I'm one of the people who bought a quilt machine, couldn't figure out how to put the table together. It had a lot of nuts and screws and small pieces. We had 4 people try to put it together and we were never able to get the table steady enough to hold the quilting machine. The machine is still in the box. I still plan on using the machine and try another table to put the machine on. Just haven't gotten there yet. Time flies, that was 5 years ago. I bought another quilting machine, which was more user friendly, and use the newer machine in the mean time. Thanks for this topic and for a reminder I have this machine and need to get this going.
I did the same thing when I bought my frame. I knew i couldn't put it together. i bought it online so no help there. It sat for 2 years and then i called my local Baby Lock dealer. They came out and set it up, adjusted my Juki 2010 on the carriage, charged a very reasonable price, way less than I expected. Not all dealers are proprietary! And they have a very happy, frequent customer!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 AM

Happens all the time with all kinds of objects. It is the thrill of the hunt, not cooking what you caught!!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:10 AM

Yes, people do buy things and never use them. Some family member gave my DH and I an ice cream maker and it has never been opened.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:33 AM

I bought an embroidery machine, set it up, did a few test images...and then it sat for over a year. I've only recently started using it "for real".

Sometimes priorities change. And sometimes it's preferable to just get rid of something than to hang onto it "just in case" you need to use it. For some of us, it's on the level of things like spare spatulas; for others it's spare really nice sewing machines!

Which is great for people looking to buy pre-owned really nice sewing machines.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:34 AM

I bought my Horn cabinet from a man who bought that along with an expensive Bernina thinking that he would start a new hobby upon his retirement. Never made it past the sewing machine manual. I was too late for the sewing machine, which he sold for half what he paid for it, but got an awesome deal on a brand new cabinet. I'm always checking Craigslist for a great deal on a sewing machine, although I do not need one. I don't know why I do it, but can't help myself.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 AM

I'm with just_the_scraps_m'am on this one. I'll bet if the cost of all the fabric some have in their stash and will (admit it..)never use, it would be at least $1,500. Probably more. Remember, it only takes 100 purchases at $15 to make the $1,500. Many of us are in that category. So yes, we buy with the best of intentions, maybe even plans, but you know what they say about the "best laid plans of mice and men...
Old 06-23-2014, 09:32 AM

I agree with you Jan!!!!