Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Used machines >

Used machines

Used machines

Old 08-30-2017, 07:42 AM

Unless you are posting on a large regional (or national) site like Ebay or Sewitsforsale, and are willing to ship, you may have a longer wait until someone local wants what you have for sale.

So don't despair if you put it on a local site (or have LOCAL PICKUP ONLY) and don't get quick response. You'll have to wait until a buyer is looking. If the machine is collectable, there are people always looking, but if it's simply a decent used machine, there aren't going to be near as many buyers at any given time.

If you have a good relationship with your LQS or sewing repair place, they may be willing to let you post it at their shop too. Sometimes they already know of someone looking for a used machine that they didn't have anything to offer them.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:39 AM

Inquire of a local quilt guild or group of sewing friends such as at a church. Perhaps a quilt shop has a bulletin board for such? If you are posting a For Sale, it would be good to put a picture of the machine on the ad. Do be sure to go back to take it down or check on its fresh appearance. I like that suggestion of making the exchange in the lobby of a police station for safety reasons.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:18 AM

You can list on ebay with a local pickup only option. You get a lot more exposure on ebay. I also list on craigslist. So far, I've never had a problem. If it's a large item I can't transport, I don't let them come to my house unless my husband is home. Always put a picture of the item, several shots at least. The more photos the better the chance of someone looking at it. I don't even bother looking at listings without pictures.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:21 AM

I've sold several sewing machines on EBay. It's not a problem and you have some added protections provided by EBay, which is nice. It is pretty easy to use and you can always revise your listing if you goof up. EBay is also the largest market you'll ever want to sell your machine in. It's mind boggling on how many potential buyers it reaches. The best types of machines to sell on EBay are the ones that have some collectable value. If it is not collectable, I would consider donating it to charity, or going with Craigslist.

Don't be surprised if it takes a few tries to sell a machine on EBay. I usually put the listing on automatic relist, so it goes right back on if the listing goes unsold. If you've done your homework and priced it right, don't change the price just because EBays suggests that you do. Selling something like this takes some time. Your best bet is to attract someone that lives in your shipping area, verses to someone that lives across the country, so that the shipping costs are greatly reduced.

The biggest issue selling online is the shipping cost, which a lot of people are unwilling to pay, once they see how heavy and bulky it is. It's a good idea to offer local pick-up for those buyers that live close by. If you do that, offer to meet them at a public space and not at your home. Otherwise, keep to the lowest shipping option offered.

DON'T OFFER FREE SHIPPING by mistake...you'll be sorry and a lot poorer if you do. (Don't ask me how I know this.)

DON'T EVEN THINK OF SHIPPING GLOBALLY. (You have to make sure that the Global Shipping option is unchecked near the bottom of the listing form.) If you live in the US, make sure that you also post, "FOR SALE IN THE US ONLY" in your description. I always forget to do this and sure enough, every time, there will be someone from another country who doesn't read the fine print in the listing and bids on it. You don't always know until you go to ship the machine and the packing slip reads to some far off land. AUGH!!! I just lost a sale the other day because I failed to add that blurb.

Also, this is not the type of item that works well for, "combined shipping," unless you're adding something small and lightweight, like sewing notions, or small, machine attachments.

Another HUGE issue when shipping sewing machines is to make sure that they are packed correctly so that they will arrive undamaged. You would be surprised at how much damage to a machine can occur, if not packed the right way. I could tell you many sad stories about fabulous, collector, sewing machines that I have purchased online, that were in pristine condition when I bought them, only to arrive in shambles at my door because the seller didn't pack it well. It would make you want to cry. Ebay has a good tutorial on packing a sewing machine, so be sure to watch that and follow their directions.

I hope this helps. Good luck selling!

~ C
Old 08-31-2017, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Another thing about Ebay- you can list it with "pick-up only" so that only someone nearby will get it. No shipping involved.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:19 AM

If you do list it for pickup as the only option - please consider putting at least your state in the description.

I always get frustrated when I spot a great machine and it's pick-up only, and I have to pull up the full listing to find out they're all the way on the other side of the country! I'm always grateful when pick-up only listings include the location in the header description.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I've purchased several vintage machines on craigslist, and that's where I look first for things like that.
I have also successfully purchased and sold machines on CL. I prefer it as there is no postage or packaging for such a heavy item, no damage due to shipping, and the machine can be seen before purchased.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:10 PM

You could also try to find a sewing machine dealer who sells used machines in your area. A quilt guild might have some good recommendations/opinions. I know mine always do.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:19 PM

I sold a treadle Singer on Craigslist. We met at a local Starbucks. I accepted only cash, and she got a chance to look at and work the machine before purchasing. It was a win-win for both of us.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:32 PM

On the Quilting Board here, there is a group regarding sewing machines. I would write on that group and ask their opinion as to how much you should charge, etc. Someone on the group may be in your area that collects that particular type of machine. Good luck!