Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gammill SKipping stitches--does anyone know much about encoders?? >

Gammill SKipping stitches--does anyone know much about encoders??

Gammill SKipping stitches--does anyone know much about encoders??

Old 09-02-2017, 06:31 PM

Default Gammill SKipping stitches--does anyone know much about encoders??

My hand guided Gammill Classic Plus started skipping stitches--I may have hit a ruler but don't think it is the cause. it only skips when I make circular motion to the left and up or occasionally to the right and up.
It's not making holes in the fabric, so it's not a needle issue. just jumps anywhere from 1/8" or 1"--and always when I'm going pretty fast. When I switch to manual mode there is not any skipping--so after checking needle bar height and the timing (first "chance" to re-time it in entire time I've owned it--what a pain), I'm thinking my Gammill rep's guess of either timing or stitch regulator encoders, is the issue means that it's SR encoders.

I'm so bummed! Had planned to work on my own quilt for a show end of Sept. and not be rushed--so now I have to figure out the issue and/or get the actual tech to come to my house and do the work (and come up with the expenses). I switched to EZ Rider wheels on my machine about 11 months ago and it was a hassle to set up the encoders, but think it's been ok since. I haven't been thrilled with my stitch quality in that area for a while, but guess these means back to working on a machine tomorrow after church.

Any suggestions from long arm owners are welcome!
Old 09-02-2017, 08:28 PM

There's been stitch regulator issues on my Gammill since it was installed. Usually use manual mode.

Gammill needs a lot of oil, so that's usually the issue for me.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

If you are skipping stitches only in stitch regulated mode, then it could very well be that one of the encoders is not making good contact. When I have a problem like this I move to the back of the machine and watch the encoders while I move the machine around. The encoders should be turning smoothly. Be sure they and the rails are clean and that there are no loose threads getting in their way. Also be sure no cords or cables are interfering with the encoders. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:17 AM

....You said curves, when you are going "fast"..... How about when you slowly go into curves. Maybe you are just going too fast for the machine to complete the stitch.....that was my problem, til I learned not to speed on curves...just like in driving!
Old 09-03-2017, 06:12 PM

I also have trouble when I tighten the quilt too tight. it needs to be a bit loose, not so taut you can bounce a quarter on it. If you tighten it, the threads are harder to pierce by the needle.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
There's been stitch regulator issues on my Gammill since it was installed. Usually use manual mode.

Gammill needs a lot of oil, so that's usually the issue for me.
do you have the little wire gizmo that allows you to reverse the motor direction and get the oil to those spots that it normally doesn't stick to? I ordered mine from Linda Taylor's shop--it really helps keep me from pouring tons of oil into it the motor to prevent a whine sound.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:22 PM

Victory!! (I think!?) After church we moved the machine off the carriage and I worked on the encoder wheels. the bottom one (back of machine) must not have been aligned right when I switched to EZ Rider wheels in Nov. and the bolt holding the wheel was also loosened. So after a couple of hours work, I've got no skips and good stitch quality. Finally!
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:14 PM

So glad you got it figured out!
Old 09-04-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
do you have the little wire gizmo that allows you to reverse the motor direction and get the oil to those spots that it normally doesn't stick to? I ordered mine from Linda Taylor's shop--it really helps keep me from pouring tons of oil into it the motor to prevent a whine sound.
Never heard of wire gizmo. Can you post a picture?