Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles >

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Old 04-05-2013, 05:41 AM

1. Any ruler that is not a Creative Grids ruler. These are amazing! I threw my old Olipfa ruler (with the lip that is to be used on the edge of a mat) away several years ago...I didn't want to curse someone else with that thing! The "lip" was not glued on straight, and so it was impossible to get a straight cut.

2. Fons & Porter quilting gloves, with the rubber dots. Threads stick to them, so you MUST take them off before trimming threads off your quilt. I use Machingers now, the Fons & Porters are in the drawer.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:52 AM

Flynn's quilting frame!!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 AM

I so agree. The simplicity rotary cutting machine is worthless. I bought mine. Never got it to work right. I"m not sure if I would even try and cut any scraps with it. Mine was a dud from the beginning. I was so tempted to get the thingy that holds the binding but looked closer and it didn't hold up to the width of binding I use. I'll just keep using my toilet paper holder and ribbon. Works great and is a lot cheaper. Yep another thing was the basting gun. I used it once and it pulled holes in the quilt. I'm so glad they went back together when I washed the quilt. Never used it again. I know it has to put holes in the quilt to use it. But these were pretty large holes and I sweated it out until I finished the quilt and washed it. Now I admit I"m a gadget junky!! LOL Ever with that said some of this stuff is really awful.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:05 AM

I bought a used Flynn's frame from a lady on board and have a problem using it because of my lack of space. I demonstrated it at our grooup but when ladies saw how used didn't want it either. Only does quilts up to 54" wide.
Never used my 1/4 " ruler but I am going too. Probably have more things but not costly ones.
Love my "Lippa" ruler and wish I could buy other sizes.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:13 AM

I have bought pins before and some were blunt, I contacted the manufacturer by email and they sent me 2 packs of 2 1/2" glass head pins that cost $25.00 per pack in Australia. I also contacted Moda Fabrics about charm packs that were not the right size and got replacements plus extra. If you don't contact them when things don't work properly they will never be able to fix the problem. Just my thoughts!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by rebeljane View Post
I have bought pins before and some were blunt, I contacted the manufacturer by email and they sent me 2 packs of 2 1/2" glass head pins that cost $25.00 per pack in Australia. I also contacted Moda Fabrics about charm packs that were not the right size and got replacements plus extra. If you don't contact them when things don't work properly they will never be able to fix the problem. Just my thoughts!
Excellent idea. Usually "gadgets" work so well at quilt shows is because they use them all day, everyday. With practice they may work as well for you. Given that, some really are junk!!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 AM

Please be careful cutting the thread with your teeth. My grandmother did this for
many years and it ended up putting thin "cuts" in her teeth. Was surprised that thread
would do this, but over the years it added up.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:12 AM

I bought binder clips to use for binding the quilt. They worked well at first, but as i aged, they became harder to open. Plus, they became cat toys, and they aren't fun to step on when the cats leave them everywhere. I'm still looking for those bendable hair clips to try instead, or I may buy the clips everyone's talking about. This isn't quite a boondoggle, though, because they are still useful as binder clips, if I can find out where the cats hid them.

Maybe the round headed pins are a boondoggle. Who ever expected to buy pins that melt if the iron touches them. I was very disappointed in that.

I have an add-an-eighth ruler. It's very useful for trimming as you're paper piecing. I have a bobbin winder. It was much cheaper than having my machine's bobbin winder fixed, and easier than using my drill, and it works great. I have very few other things - one reasonable size cutting board, and one very small, several rotary cutters, one long ruler (too long - doesn't fit in my carrying case), and a Starmaker 5, 6, and 8. Also have spring loaded scissors, which I use, but find a little hard to squeeze.

I haven't bought an accuquilt. The hardest thing for me in using it would be the weight in moving it around, so it would have to have a dedicated place to sit. I'm still not sure I would make full use of it. I like to make larger blocks, and to have only a single size available would make it less useful for me.

Last edited by charsuewilson; 04-05-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 AM

Those miniature little triangle head irons sold as essential for ironing tiny applique fabric pieces onto freezer paper, sounded great as I am forever burning my finger trying to maneuver the big iron. Worthless it never gets hot enough to iron anything.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 AM

[QUOTE=Diannia;5977131]One of those red gun thingies for basting a quilt. Got it at WalMart...what a waste (at least for me).

I totally agree on this one. The little plastic things that you "shot" through the quilt were toolong to keep all the layers in place. I tried it a few times and the layers kept shifting. Another great idea shot to hades!