Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using 100% cotton sheets for fabric - tighter weave?? >

Using 100% cotton sheets for fabric - tighter weave??

Using 100% cotton sheets for fabric - tighter weave??

Old 01-23-2015, 04:48 AM

[QUOTE=KenmoreGal2;7057096]Hi all. For economy's sake I use a mix of cotton fabric and 100% cotton bed sheets from the thrift store for my quilts. It seems to me that some of these bed sheets are harder to FMQ, could the weave be tighter than regular cotton fabric? Is there some other basic difference between sheets and bolt fabric? They are all just fabric aren't they? Or is it my imagination?

Been there, tried it....not much success - weave too tight..
With that being said, however, I do get 100% cotton ones to use for practice on my long arm........It is like working on a whole cloth quilt.I can use up "ugly" thread colors, use permanent markers to make notes on the sheet (things to remember when I am working on a real quilt)....and it is easy to pull these out, throw them on the floor, and spot exactly what I am looking for, rather than pour through my notebooks.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:37 AM

I also use some sheets for backing and have them work fine the right ones make a very soft back and if I want a flannel back I really prefer the sheet also my husbands favorite lap quilt was made with a used mattress pad for batting and sheet on the back very soft and has held up for 23 years
Old 01-23-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
They are also extremely inexpensive. I got a black one last week. It's an Ikea sheet, 100% cotton. I think it was full size but it was not marked. I held it to my cutting board and rough measured it. It was about 5 yards of fabric. I paid $4 for it and I don't have to worry about it bleeding to boot. I should try to figure out how to determine if a particular sheet has an especially high thread count before I buy it. That would be helpful. Any ideas on how I could do this? Hold it up to the light maybe?
That's how I check fabric. Sometimes even the quilt stores have lesser quality fabric...feels good (as in has a good 'hand'), but can't pass the light test.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:14 AM
shy

I use sheets for backing on some of my quilts..I have had no problem with them using them this way..I have try sheet pieces on scrape quilts..in my opinion it works fine..But I do notice a difference in the feel ..I have had no trouble at all with needles or the sewing of them..u may have just had a loose weave fabric that u were sewing at the time u try the sheet too..Batiks is one of the hardest material to sew on.. the darker the batik..the harder..sheets are simple compare to Batiks...
Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 AM

I used a 100% cotton high thread count sheet as backing for my last quilt. Nice and soft, but not good for quilting. Will not use a high thread count again. I have used low count for other things but I find if I wash the lower count it shrinks so it works better for me with pre-washed material. My biggest problem is finding 100% cotton sheets. Some are marked as cotton rich, meaning they are a blend, usually with polyester.

Last edited by dee1245; 01-23-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:40 AM

I have used sheets. Some are more "slick" than others. But my Ruby has no problem with them. I just use a new needle each time. I spray glue my quilts and pin them so nothing slides around. That helped me when I use them. Some of them are so soft and feel so good on you body… imho
Old 01-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

My very first quilt teacher told us that she used sheets for backing on her quilts. I've used sheets as well as yardage for backing, and since I machine quilt I haven't noticed a huge difference, although I have used lower thread count sheets, and I plan on using sheets for backing of some larger Christmas tree skirts, as I didn't really want to have a seam. It's all personal preference.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:57 PM

I have made one quilt with beautiful Waverly fabric and did not have a problem. Have used them about a dozen times for the back. Never had any problems.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:10 PM

My sister used sheets all of the time for her backings. They do have different count threads on them.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:55 PM

I rarely use anything except fleece for my backings, but have on special occasion used a sheet. I frequently use sheets in piecing my tops, especially for borders and sashings; no seams!!!
I access my sheets at thrift stores so they are rarely new; call that prewashed. A twin sheet is at least 4 yrds. in my best estimation, and usually $2. Can't beat that price!!
I can't do hand sewing and my machines have never had a problem sewing any sheet. Sharp needles are good for quilting them, rather than the round point.
Whatever you use, make sure you are having fun!!!