Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using 100% cotton sheets for fabric - tighter weave?? >

Using 100% cotton sheets for fabric - tighter weave??

Using 100% cotton sheets for fabric - tighter weave??

Old 01-21-2015, 05:35 AM

Default Using 100% cotton sheets for fabric - tighter weave??

Hi all. For economy's sake I use a mix of cotton fabric and 100% cotton bed sheets from the thrift store for my quilts. It seems to me that some of these bed sheets are harder to FMQ, could the weave be tighter than regular cotton fabric? Is there some other basic difference between sheets and bolt fabric? They are all just fabric aren't they? Or is it my imagination?

Thanks!!
Old 01-21-2015, 05:39 AM

I tried using some good sheets years ago in a quilt. They were great quality sheets but the weave was very tight and the fabric just did not work in the quilt. I never used sheets again.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

One can buy sheets with lower thread counts.

I would think some of the batiks would be equally as challenging as sheets for. FMQ.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:46 AM

Thanks nygal and bear. I haven't tried batik yet but it would be interesting to compare it to the sheets. One day I will. Some of the sheets I find are real nice, they are heavy and soft. Perhaps the heavy aspect means a higher thread count?

I use them mostly for my solids. I know they won't run - they've been washed a bunch of times already!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Yes, sheets can have a higher thread count. That's why some long armers won't take them as backings. If buying new, look for the lower counts, like 200. Having said that, I've used them to piece and as backings and they worked just fine. I agree with your comment on them not shrinking & running, and they are sooo soft! Just experiment a bit with your needle size for FMQ. Try a sharp needle and try ones that are larger and smaller to see what your machine likes.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:57 AM

Thanks!! I just finished FMQ a lap quilt which had sheets pieced into it. By the end I was getting the hang of it - lots of tiny tiny stitches real close together did the trick most of the time. Is that how you have to FMQ batik too?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
I tried using some good sheets years ago in a quilt. They were great quality sheets but the weave was very tight and the fabric just did not work in the quilt. I never used sheets again.
EXACTLY what happened to me years ago. Never used them again.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Love my new sheets but will never use for quilts. I do have other sheets, I've practiced with and an upholstery needle works well. I have other sheets that have less than a 180 thread count and those work better. I like estate sales for old sheets. I have enough right now. If the label is still good some times it will state the thread count.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 AM

I use sheets all the time for backings, haven't had a hard time when either tying or FMQ.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:59 AM

Thanks for all the comments. I don't notice this issue with all the sheets I use, just some of them. I guess it may be that those ones have a tighter weave. Because theoretically the fabric used to make sheets is just fabric, like what is sold on a bolt at the store - correct? There's nothing inherently special about sheet fabric is there?