Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using 20% of your sewing machine 80% of the time... >

Using 20% of your sewing machine 80% of the time...

Using 20% of your sewing machine 80% of the time...

Old 11-24-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I use a lot of my decorative stitches... so maybe I use 50% of my machine 100% of the time :D:D:D
I use my decorative stitches to attach binding as well as on crazy quilt blocks, though I probably only use 25% of my machine 75% of the time. After attaching the last binding, I told myself I am going to make myself a booklet with all the stitches in it to use as a reference so I can use more of my machine more of the time, let's see if I follow through :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:
Old 11-24-2010, 07:38 AM

I have been saying for the last 5 years that I have been just a slacker about using everything I paid good money for in my machine! Maybe 2011 will be my year to say "I'm learning something new every week" sounds good, anyway.....
Old 11-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
My Juki TL98QE machines are straight stitch only machines, so, I use 100% of my machines whenever I sew.
:lol: Me too! And I use 60% on my Bernina emb/sewing combo machine. :D
Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 AM

I had a basic Kenmore,then a featherweight,then a Viking & now my Bernina.All did great stitiching & the FW was a nice traveling machine.I never became friends with the Viking...my fault I'm sure.The Bernina & I have bonded :-).One thing I love, it's as easy to do fancy stitching as plain.
I got a Janome for classes...never been to a class,so the box has never been opened.These 2 machines will do for me,100% as long as I sew.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:29 AM

Off the top of my head I think there are 20 stitches on my sewing machine (I'm not looking at it because its stored away until I have to use it because of the lack of space). So in my case its more like 5% of my sewing machine 99% of the time since I just use the straight stitch for the most part (once in a blue moon I'll use the zig zag).
Old 11-24-2010, 09:44 AM

I have a Brother CS6000i

It is an inexpensive machine that came with 59 stitches, accessible by a touch of the button at the top of the machine.

I have used most of these decorative stitches for Crazy Quilts.

A few of the more basic shapes- zigzag and a curving meander style, mostly-I use for quilting.

Some of the other decorative stitches I used in making fabric cards to send to our Wounded Warriors.

Mostly I use straight stitches.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:46 AM

I have old machines - before the zig zag stitch. I can honestly say I use 100 % of it!!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Several guild members have the very best top of the line machines that will do everything. When I ask about a particular feature's use, like the BSR, I get the same answer from each of them. They don't know, they haven't used the features.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:06 AM

I can add to that...as I must be in the minority. I love the BSR on my machine.It takes reading the manual, maybe a class & practice.Of course, that's true with all machines.The LA quilters say it takes a lot of practice,stipple quilting, lots of practice.There are tons of "how to books" we buy, but most of it comes back to the boring "read the manual & practice".

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Several guild members have the very best top of the line machines that will do everything. When I ask about a particular feature's use, like the BSR, I get the same answer from each of them. They don't know, they haven't used the features.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Originally Posted by Popcorn
I have heard that most people use only 20% of their sewing machine 80% of the time and got to thinking about it today. I have to say that I fall into that catagory myself. I was wondering if anyone has any photos of how they have used the other "80% of stitches" that are on their machines.
Well, I only use 5% of my brain 100% of the time.

I think I'm doing really well with the 20% on the sewing machine.
Love this one!!!