Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using a bed sheet for backing >

Using a bed sheet for backing

Using a bed sheet for backing

Old 03-23-2010, 09:06 AM

I use sheets for my backing. I don't hand quilt (on anything) so I dont know about that but machine quilting has been good for me. I have a quilt from 7 yrs ago and it has no holes or anything. so I guess I will keep using them.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 AM

Okay, you guys are really making me think about going and buying some sheets. I don't hand quilt, and really really like batiks, so I'm wondering if some of the higher thread count sheets would be "softer" for the backs. They can't be tighter than a batik can they?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM

I've only used a sheet for backing once. It was a practice quilt (my first quilt) to see if I'd like the process. I loved and still love the process. I machine quilted it on my domestic machine and had NO PROBLEMS. It's been on my bed for years now and no holes. It's wearing fine and I don't expect it to wear out any time soon. I've not used a sheet since, but now I'm considering it. Thanks for all the good advise!!!
Doug in Akron, Ohio
Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 AM

Sheets are my new favorite. I went to the thrift store (the day before this thread popped up actually, so I have been reading it closely) and I got some really pretty, really soft sheets to use as backs for my quilts. There is one that is pretty heavy, so it may have a high thread count, so I will be careful using that one, but all the others are so soft and yummy I just want to curl up under them!! I was able to get 6 sheets ranging from Twin to King in all kinds of patterns, for $25.

Also, thanks to the person who suggested that Target King size sheets are like Kona. I am ALWAYS lacking in the solids department as for some reason no one around me carries Kona. This is a great option for both the top and back of a quilt for solids!! I will be keeping an eye on sales and clearances from now on!!

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 AM

I used a sheet as the backing on one of the first quilts I made years ago. It was machine pieced using scraps and machine quilted. The top and binding have shown signs of wear but the backing is still going strong. I think the sheet was probably a low thread count.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in Indiana
I too am on disability an can't spend big money on my quilts.
You might know soon as i started quilting Wall Mart stopped sailing anything I need. My grandmother made all her quilts out of all old close. Her quilts or still going after being used for yrs.
Some of my grandmother's quilts are still in use from years ago. Just good old utility quilts built out of love. Gram used different large pieces of dresses for the backing, so did two grand-aunties. It wasn't until I was in my mid 20's that I saw quilt backings that weren't pieced in different colors. I've used Walmart sheets for backings too on some of my quilt projects.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 AM

Thank you so much for all the comments. I might try it out on a small quilt to see if I like it. But with the comments on hand sewing, I will use the machine.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:29 AM

I have never used a sheet for a quilt back, but my old sheets end up as part of the bedskirt. The fitted ones work great, and the bedskirt stays in one place. Marylou
Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by lucyb
Remember when you didn't have to buy them in sets? I liked that a lot better. I have used them to make curtains and shower curtains, Now you have to buy the fitted sheet even if you don't need one.
I agree. I also have made curtains, shower curtains, table cloths besides using them for the quilt back. I have always tied these quilts and never tried quilting them. Because there is a fitted and cases, when I give the quilt away I always give the bottom and cases so everything matches. (these quilts are for our grandchildren who graduate from high school and are to be used at college).
Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 PM

I've used sheets before. I hand quilt and I didn't have any trouble with them.