Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using a bed sheet for backing >

Using a bed sheet for backing

Using a bed sheet for backing

Old 03-23-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I had heard it was a bad idea, that you for the explation for why. I too like to get my backings on sale.
Even if it's on sale, be sure you get good quality fabric. After all - it's the back that gets the most wear - not the front!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:23 PM

I've never used a sheet but am willing to try why not its fabric also.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:26 PM

I've used sheets to line several quilts and they've laundered well. As for warmth not so much but just for weight they were fine.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 PM

My very first "real" quilt was a king size I made when my husband and I married. What did I know from quilting. I used my crochet pieces and tatted pieces, and laces ribbons and trims and netting on the tops, lots of work, and then put a huge percale sheet on the back. The top was both machine and hand sewn, but because of its size, I hand quilted the thing. It was tough going, all lap-quilted. But it is gorgeous. It is still as beautiful today as it was in the begining. May I say it lasted longer than the marriage? And that I still have the QUILT!
Won't ever use a percale again. But I agree, the lower count all-cotton sheets are dreamy to quilt, especially if pre-washed.

Poor picture, long ago.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-27258.jpe  
Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 PM

If I have a client bring a sheet for backing I use it..they quilt up nicely...never have had any problems BUT I'd not use one for my own quilts. That's my preference. I really think that a sheet on a utility quilt will work just fine as it's going to be used and washed often and likely would not last many years anyhow...prolly 4 or 5 yrs.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 PM

I've never used a sheet. However, the caution against it seems to be hard to hand-quilt (which I don't do) and then the thing about the threads getting cut and weakened from the needle passing through. Now, I have sheets that are decades old.... and the hems, etc. are sewn by machine obviously. The only place those sheets have ever torn are in the middle... nowhere near the machine stitching.... So, maybe I will try a sheet in the future.....
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 PM

I love using flannel sheets for quilt backs. I have no problem with it at all. I have used regular sheets too. As long as you are not hand quilting I see no problem with using sheets. It is much cheaper than buying matching fabric also, so that is something to think about.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for sharing this tip with us
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 PM

I used the fitted ones to make the valances for the curtains I made.. was great for curtains to match but would never put on the back of a 100% cotton pieced top,,,,,, unless maybe it if was a 100% cotton sheet but in a lower count... they are hare dot hand quilt and not that fun on the machine either just a different feel.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Pickles
I always use sheets would do it no other way and have had no problem with them at all. I also go to Thrift stores and buy them and store them in Big Plastic Bins, I'm one for saving every penny I can , I figure the pioneer's had it right and there's are still around today and doing great, so if it worked for them why rock the boat now, when this is why we are carrying on the fine art of Quilting to pass it on as they did for use. :D
DITTO Pickles... complete agreement with you!