Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Using Different quilting finger protectors.

Blog Entries

Using Different quilting finger protectors.

Hello, I have been searching for video's of different ways I've heard about to protect your underneath quilting finger. Like how to use a quarter or guitar thumb pick. I've seen the Aunt Becki and the spoon and actually have both, but haven't mastered them. There may be other interesting ways also. It would be very interesting to learn more and possible see if the members here who use some of these other ideas could make a video to show how the use them. Anyone interested in sharing

When I hand quilt which isn't often I use a thimble on my underneath finger. It's the way I learned so it's the one I'm comfortable with. I tried the Aunt Becky but it was clumsy to me. I really didn't practice that much with it though. I would never quilt without some protection. I don't like pin pricks or my finger with holes in it. A callous takes a long time and lots of hurt and it looks ugly.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Banned
    I hand quilt everything, and haven't found anything that works for me, other than painting a couple layers of nail glue on the underneath fingers. I use index finger and the one next to it, swapping off.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    When I hand quilt which isn't often I use a thimble on my underneath finger. It's the way I learned so it's the one I'm comfortable with. I tried the Aunt Becky but it was clumsy to me. I really didn't practice that much with it though. I would never quilt without some protection. I don't like pin pricks or my finger with holes in it. A callous takes a long time and lots of hurt and it looks ugly.

I am not the least bit concerned about my callouses, and I have several, in different areas.

I mostly just let it build up a "quilters' callous", but if it starts to bother me I just use a small band aid.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I, too, use no protector on my underneath finger. Just work through the pain/pricks and let the callous build as I don't hand quilt every day so the callous does eventually erode and return to 'normal' skin. By the same token, it doesn't take long to build up either. I switch off to different fingers during the process so I build callouses on several across time.

I don't use anything on the underneath fingers either. I do have the Aunt Becky's and can use it if doing long straight stretches but haven't mastered it on curves.
    One of my friends puts masking tape on her finger... I tried that, but just stitched right through it...

Blog Entries
    Liquid bandage works.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

I don't let the needle hit the underneath finger (at least, not intentionally), I can "feel" the needle go through the fabric with my top hand and use the underneath finger to push the fabric up in front of the needle tip.

I certainly don't understand deliberately getting pin pricks in your finger. Seems like self mutilation to me. But to each her own. I quit doing all the stuffy rules. I do a tiny in and out stitch, like hand stitching seams. My quilting looks great and I don't use a hoop or stand. I won a hand quilting 1st place at a quilt show. The quilt guild sponsored the prize and only guild members voted for the hand quilting award. None knew me.
    Last edited by fruitloop; 05-22-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    I love hand quilting...and I use a product called "Thimble-it"...they are small oval stick-ons and I layer two, one on top of the other... I can feel the needle and I occasionally feel a little prick...and I build up a small callous when I'm working on a large quilt... but it seems to slow down the callous formation a little bit. I don't mind the callous too much. It goes away soon enough. Well...happy quilting everyone!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Quote Originally Posted by running1 View Post
    I love hand quilting...and I use a product called "Thimble-it"...they are small oval stick-ons and I layer two, one on top of the other... I can feel the needle and I occasionally feel a little prick...and I build up a small callous when I'm working on a large quilt... but it seems to slow down the callous formation a little bit. I don't mind the callous too much. It goes away soon enough. Well...happy quilting everyone!!
    Love, love, LOVE Thimble-It! Have used them for years. I actually cut mine in half and round of the edges - twice as many in one pack!