Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING >

USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING

USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING

Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 AM

My thought is if a flame is that close to my quilt where I am sleeping I am in trouble anyway so the moral of the story is don't smoke in bed and get out of burning buildings FAST!I will keep using my dryer sheets.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by oma66
I just did a test in my kitchen with dryer sheet, poly-cotton, fusible interfacing and 100% cotton. They all burned the same - quickly. The poly-cotton curled up in flame, the cotton burned the fastest and with much more flame, the fusible burned very quickly and the dryer sheet burned quickly, but not any quicker than the other three. As someone said, put a match to anything and it will burn. I used dryer sheets in quilting and was very alarmed when I read the post this morning, so I did the experiment myself. If you recently saw the damage a candle did to a quilters quilt in progress, you would see just how quickly a quilt will burn without a dryer sheet involved.

I am always thankful for new information and warnings. I am glad I saw the post so I could see for myself as PatG suggested. Thank you PatG for the suggestion and warning. However, since they all burned the same, I am not afraid of using the dryer sheets.
Oma! Sorry I am a bit dense. Do you only use USED dryer sheets or do you use NEW dryer sheets? I stopped using dryer sheets in my dryer when I realized that the residue blocked my filter screen. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Duh I know I must sound stupid but why and how do you use dryer sheets in quilting? The only use I know of them is how great they are for keeping your Iron clean :!:
I have used dryer sheets and the experiments are interesting,I will continue to use them. I wash with detergent, bleach and put them in a net bag wash twice before I use them.
Now to ans. your question Quiltingaddict for myself :-D only :!: They are already there,recyclable and really do a good job of stablizing(,except for Tee's) My own experiment. Also,If you are on a set income,retired as I am there sometimes just not enough of money to go around for expensive stuff as Tear away,bonding commerical stuff.
BillsBonBon
Old 01-27-2011, 07:20 AM

Thank you, OMA for the more detailed information.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 AM

The fire test you did was a good idea, we all found out that all material will burn. The reason they suggest 100% cotton for childrens quilts is that unlike polyester, the fabric won't melt and stick to the skin. Polyester will stick to whatever surface it is melting on where as cotton turns to ash. The fire retardant fabrics are good, except after several washings the protection is gone.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM

I just did a test in my kitchen with dryer sheet, poly-cotton, fusible interfacing and 100% cotton. They all burned the same - quickly. The poly-cotton curled up in flame, the cotton burned the fastest and with much more flame, the fusible burned very quickly and the dryer sheet burned quickly, but not any quicker than the other three. As someone said, put a match to anything and it will burn. I used dryer sheets in quilting and was very alarmed when I read the post this morning, so I did the experiment myself. If you recently saw the damage a candle did to a quilters quilt in progress, you would see just how quickly a quilt will burn without a dryer sheet involved.

I am always thankful for new information and warnings. I am glad I saw the post so I could see for myself as PatG suggested. Thank you PatG for the suggestion and warning. However, since they all burned the same, I am not afraid of using the dryer sheets.
Thanks for the info. I knew the dryer sheets burned fast but I have also seen batting burn when I have had some in the trash but, it is nice to know someone took the time to test it for us,
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

stitchofclass2 wrote
Oma! Sorry I am a bit dense. Do you only use USED dryer sheets or do you use NEW dryer sheets? I stopped using dryer sheets in my dryer when I realized that the residue blocked my filter screen. Thanks for the help.

I scrub the dryer filter with soap and a soft toothbrush once a week. It allows air flow and makes for faster drying. The fabric sheets do build up a film there.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai

That's what I suspected. Good for you oma!!!
I was just wondering the same thing. Seems to me the fusible stuff is basically the same thing as dryer sheets w/o the chemical addition. So - everyone who has used fusible interfacing is in the same boat as those who use used dryer sheets - huh?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by stitchofclass2

I don't use dryer sheets any more because I get what looks like grease spots on my dark clothes - sooo I tried using a New ONE - everything looked good UNTIL I pressed my block - bummer - spots. Then I took my block to the sink & washed with detergent - still spots. Maybe they would work if I did like another poster and put them in a mesh bag and run them thru the wash cycle one or two times. Never thought of that. I wanted to use them in strip quilts. I hate cutting foundation pieces and the quilt top would be lighter if I could use dryer sheets.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quilters have known for years to not use dryer sheets, used or fresh, in quilts or applique