Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using embroidery hoop to quilt block >

using embroidery hoop to quilt block

using embroidery hoop to quilt block

Old 11-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Well, I finally got my problems solved. Part of the problem was that I couldn't get the quilt sandwich to stay in the hoop. It would even come out while the machine was sewing. I changed hoops to a small oval one and moved the machine. It wasn't easy, but I did it. And the little quilt looks pretty good as well. I'll get a photo of it when I'm finished and post it.

Getting used to a new machine is not much fun. But his machine really does do a better job than any other I've ever used.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 AM

So glad you solved your problem.

I am a novice at machine embroidering and am sick I didn't upgrade my machine 15 years ago as the learning curve is killing me. Anyway, here are some tips that work for me...1. Buy some double stick tape and place it on at least four places on your inner hoop. Once your piece to be hooped is lined up, just touch it to the fabric and you have a temporary hold, then hoop. 2. Turns out the most stable hoop shape is a true circle. Needless to say our ME hoops are not circles. Use some of that fun sprained limb flexible, self sticking bandage (pick your favorite cool color) and wrap your inner hoop in four places. This fills in some of the gap and provides a snugger hold. I would love to hear your trips for improved hooping!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:18 AM

I haven't done this but have been exploring it since I also want to quilt my own quilts. There are videos out there on the internet that will show the process but you'll have to hunt them down. I'm sorry, but I didn't keep any links. The hard part is sifting through the search results because many are for embroidering on your quilt, not quilting on your quilt. But patience will yield results.

I do plan to use a magna hoop or similar even though it's expensive. I figure that after a few quilts, having saved the cost of a LA quilter, it will pay for itself.

Good luck
Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 AM

Oh I do like the sticky tape fix. I'll give it a try asap. Thanks.