Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Fabric to Cover My Wall >

Using Fabric to Cover My Wall

Using Fabric to Cover My Wall

Old 12-27-2010, 01:00 PM

my folks did this year ago to one of their bedroom walls. My mom bought flannel flat sheets in red & black plaid. They started at the top & secured them with matching thumbtacks. That's all they used & nothing was distorted or difficult to smooth out. They just tacked as they smoothed/covered the wall. They turned the edges under & you never knew it was a sheet unless someone asked. Of course, mom loved to brag! lol Good luck!
Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 PM

I used full strenght starch liquid starch when I did a portion of wall leading to upstairs, put towels down to catch any drips while applying and smooth from top to bottom. It is very easy to take down also.

Dude
Old 12-27-2010, 06:02 PM

I did it many years ago for my daughter's room. I used staples. If I remember correctly I turend inder the fabric at the top, then lifted it up put a slim piece of poster boared and stapled as closr to the top as possible, let the fabric hang down and smooth and turn under at the bottom and staple. Sometimes you can put staples in where they will not show or you can cover with trim. T =he next piece of fabric lays over the first piece, wrong sides together as if you are sewing them together and staple on the seam line, then open out the fabric. You may need some thin poster board in this seam to keep it straight. I hope this is not to confusing.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 PM

I do it all the time! In fact, my main floor 1/2 bath has Mary
Englebreit fabric on the walls!

Just put your fabric down in a wallpaper tray that has liquid starch in it. squeeze out as much as you can and then put it on your walls...smooth out all wrinkles...as it dries..it affixes to the wall.

I used a sheet on a bathroom wall once..it stayed up without any problems for several years..with the shower steam and all!

Granted my 1/2 bath doesnt' get as steamy..but it has been up and withstood my grandchildren for 9 years!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 PM

I do it all the time! In fact, my main floor 1/2 bath has Mary
Englebreit fabric on the walls!

Just put your fabric down in a wallpaper tray that has liquid starch in it. squeeze out as much as you can and then put it on your walls...smooth out all wrinkles...as it dries..it affixes to the wall.

I used a sheet on a bathroom wall once..it stayed up without any problems for several years..with the shower steam and all!

Granted my 1/2 bath doesnt' get as steamy..but it has been up and withstood my grandchildren for 9 years!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:30 PM

This is a really neat idea. Love the idea of the quilt and repaint the wall to correspond.

Much less intimidating than covering the entire wall with fabrics.

Do post your results and let us see what you did!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:37 PM

I used flowered sheets that matched my DD#2's bedding on one wall. I used staples to put it up with. Couldn't see the staples because of the pattern. It worked out great.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by juliea9967
I have been looking for wallpaper for one wall of my dining room for about a year. I can not find what I like. But! I found some fabric at my local quilt store that is exactly what I have been looking for.
Does anybody know of a way to use it to cover my wall? :?:
Thanks,
Julie
Contact Home depot for videos? I have seen it done on home shows put on by www.createtv.com. Check the product you use to be sure it is not cellulose based. Cellulose attracts bugs. It is their food. Good luck, and post before and after so we can admire.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:28 PM

I saw this on the Nate Berkus show recently. Here is the video link, but there is a bit of advertising you have to suffer through first. http://www.thenateshow.com/videos/detail/807# He uses full strength liquid starch,applies it with a roller on the wall, puts up the fabric, then rolls over the fabric with full strength starch again.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
There is a recipe of 1/2 water, 1/2 starch, soak the fabric until it is really wet, wring out and apply to the wall. I'll google it and see what I find.

http://www.decoratorsecrets.com/diy-...wallpaper.html

You can also staple if your pattern helps hide the staples.
I'm seeing a lot of suggestions using starch. My question would be does it attract bugs like ants or roaches?