Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using fusible fleece for the first time on a table runner >

using fusible fleece for the first time on a table runner

using fusible fleece for the first time on a table runner

Old 03-24-2016, 09:01 PM

Default using fusible fleece for the first time on a table runner

So I'm ready to quilt a few table runners I've made and the last one I used regular W&N batting and it was a tad bulkier than I wanted so this time I bought some Pellon fusible fleece. Here's my dilemma... do I fuse it to the top or the backing?

I feel like I should fuse it to the backing but I also wonder if I fuse it to the top if that would "stabilize" it a bit.

Thoughts?
Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 AM

I use fusible pellon on all my tablerunners and always fuse it to the back and use spray adhesive on the top. Works well for me.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:48 AM

Hobbs have a batting that has the fusible stuff on both sides. You just have to make your sandwich, then iron the top side, flip it over and iron the back side. I have used it for table runners, and the loft is just right, not too high.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:21 AM

I also use Hobbs fusible. Works great for runners/mug rugs because it is not overly "puffy". A vase/cup sits nicely without fear of tipovers.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:10 PM

with fusible fleece, I fuse it to the backing. Then I pin the top to the sandwich, but I don't use as many pins as I normally would, since it's only the top that is likely to pleat or pucker in that case and you can watch it and smooth it out as you go along. I generally also FMQ-stitch in the ditch right before I FMQ a block then remove the pins, or if I anticipate doing some FMQ that will extend beyond individual blocks, I may stitch in the ditch over the entire quilt using a walking foot before FMQing--in which case all the pins get removed before FMQ work.

Rob
Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 PM

I recently used fusible fleece for two table runners and I fused it to the top. No particular reason, just did them that way. Turned out nicely and I like that flatter look for table runners. So, I wonder if it really makes any difference
Old 03-25-2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I recently used fusible fleece for two table runners and I fused it to the top. No particular reason, just did them that way. Turned out nicely and I like that flatter look for table runners. So, I wonder if it really makes any difference
I'm actually going to do a couple and I think I might do one each way just to see if it makes a difference!!

Thanks all for your helpful advice!