Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Machingers for the first time >

Using Machingers for the first time

Using Machingers for the first time

Old 10-18-2010, 11:33 PM

Grann of 6,
I fell in love with the Viking Diamond when I worked for Husqvarna Viking. I realized that I could afford the Viking Sapphire 875 and that's what I have. I got spoiled by all the buttons and lack of presser foot lifter. Its funny how all of it becomes automatic, don't realize how bad until I switch to my treadle machines and they don't have those buttons. :oops:
Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 AM

What is a supreme slider? What's it used for? Could this also be a "must have"?
Old 10-19-2010, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Grann of 6,
I fell in love with the Viking Diamond when I worked for Husqvarna Viking. I realized that I could afford the Viking Sapphire 875 and that's what I have. I got spoiled by all the buttons and lack of presser foot lifter. Its funny how all of it becomes automatic, don't realize how bad until I switch to my treadle machines and they don't have those buttons. :oops:
I just wish they would decide where they are putting the thread cutter and have it in the same place on all the machines. Yesterday I was binding my last QFK and reached up to cut the thread and hit the start/stop button instead. I couldn't move fast enough to get the thing stopped. Luckily no damage to the quilt, but I will watch what I am doing from now on. The buttons are opposite on the Topaz, which I had been using a lot.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:28 AM

It's a teflon sheet that you put over the bed of your machine. It is nice and slippery and lets the fabric move soooo much easier. I don't even drop the feed dogs now with this slider over the bed plate it doesn't matter that they are up, also my stitches are better with the feed dogs left up. Hope this doesn't confuse you. I just know it has helped me so much.

Suzy
Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
It's a teflon sheet that you put over the bed of your machine. It is nice and slippery and lets the fabric move soooo much easier. I don't even drop the feed dogs now with this slider over the bed plate it doesn't matter that they are up, also my stitches are better with the feed dogs left up. Hope this doesn't confuse you. I just know it has helped me so much.

Suzy
Oh, what would our life be without all these wonderful inventions!!! I have 2 teflon press sheets, I wonder if they would be stiff enough. Hmmmmmmm.......
Old 10-19-2010, 04:40 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I use my fons n porters all the time to sew. What is the major difference? I have a JoAnn's and that is the only glove I've seen there. I may have to venture to a LQS!
Old 10-19-2010, 04:42 AM

The sheet I am talking about is a little thicker on the bottom and it sticks to the machine. You could probably try the sheet you refer to but make sure to tape it down so it doesn't move with the movement of the quilt or it could cause problems. I do tape my slider down, but only use the clear shipping tape. some of the other tapes can get sticky. I have also used clear vinyl that I by at Wal-Mart. It comes on a roll. Make a small opening in the vinyl lined up with you needle. It works, but the Supreme slider is even better. Hope this helps.

Suzy
Old 10-19-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio
I use my fons n porters all the time to sew. What is the major difference? I have a JoAnn's and that is the only glove I've seen there. I may have to venture to a LQS!
I don't know anything about the Fons & Porter ones, except that I don't buy anything Fons & Porter; too expensive for my pocket book. And they irritate me when they talk. Just me, I guess.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:15 AM
PJO

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by merrylouw
I haven't heard of these. Anybody want to post a picture?
Ask and you shall receive.... Mine are pink from the chalk I was using
Thanks for sharing the picture. I'd never heard of these.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by Suzy

Suzy
Oh, what would our life be without all these wonderful inventions!!! I have 2 teflon press sheets, I wonder if they would be stiff enough. Hmmmmmmm.......
Probably not, I think the feed dogs would tear them up if you don't drop them. The teflon press sheets are thin.