Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using a muslin foundation...why?? >

Using a muslin foundation...why??

Using a muslin foundation...why??

Old 07-09-2022, 02:08 PM

Default Using a muslin foundation...why??

I have read several blogs lately where blocks strip pieced together or wonky log cabin approaches are all sewn to a muslin foundation.

This kind of strikes me as an extra step? What is the advantage of assembly when sewing onto a foundation as opposed to just sewing the fabrics together and trimming as you go when necessary?
Old 07-09-2022, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

The reason behind using a foundation when wonky piecing is, you can use any scrap without it being straight on grain because the foundation prevents the block from distorting. I prefer telephone pages that I tear away rather then muslin.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

The muslin is a stabilizer. Many of your scraps will end up being bias cuts, but the muslin will keep everything from stretching or distorting. I don't like the extra bulk so I use as thin a muslin as I can find.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:11 AM

Actually, an old thin sheet works just as well. I do not like muslin because it shrinks like crazy--and more than once in my opinion. I have also used old tissue patterns. They are easy to tear off and any little bit that might remain, disintegrates when the quilt is washed.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I took a fun foundation piecing class a long time ago at quilt shop. The instructor said before anyone asks why sew on a foundation you are going to answer that yourself. We sewed strips of all sizes and cuts to paper, pressed and squared. Then we sewed strips with no paper. Then she said choose which way you will use for the rest of the class. Everyone chose the foundation. There was a lot of different foundations to choose from. . I like the leave in paper, Ricky Tims Stable Stuff. It doesn't add weight to the quilt.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Nothing like trying something for oneself to help decide - - - -
Old 07-10-2022, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Another reason for sewing on a foundation is that most string quilts are pieced on the diagonal. The foundation serves as a reminder of the size and shape of the finished block, so you don't wind up sewing on strips that are too short.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Actually, an old thin sheet works just as well. I do not like muslin because it shrinks like crazy--and more than once in my opinion. I have also used old tissue patterns. They are easy to tear off and any little bit that might remain, disintegrates when the quilt is washed.
Oooooh! What a good idea! I have a bunch of old paper patterns that I don't want anymore, but I haven't gotten around to throwing out. I'm going to keep the usable to pieces just for this. I'm wanting to start another string quilt and I can use this for the foundation.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I never use bias cut strips. I sew them together without a foundation. Even have cut blocks on diagonal. I pin about three places then sew. Never any problems.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:43 AM

I've made string and selvage quilts both ways - on a foundation (paper or muslin) or without. I think the foundation works better, resulting in a flatter, less wonky square. But I am lazy and hate to take the papers out. So I usually make them without any foundation but I am more careful about ironing between seams.