Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Non-Tradional Quilting Fabrics >

Using Non-Tradional Quilting Fabrics

Using Non-Tradional Quilting Fabrics

Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Polyester double knit! .....and still going strong almost 40 years later.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Crazy quilts often have satin, velvet, taffeta, brocade, etc. While lovely, I'd want to use them for light-duty--washing them often might be problematic.
True, I believe the original crazy quilts were just used for decorative purposes...like thrown over the grand piano! And we're not laundered...they were just an exercise in sewing, embroidery and embellishment for the ladies of the house
Old 04-23-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Polyester double knit! .....and still going strong almost 40 years later.
And not one leisure suit went to waste! LOL

~ C
Old 04-23-2014, 03:12 PM

My mother started quilting in the polyester age and since she made all our clothing that's all she had to use for quilts. She made a huge flower garden quilt entirely out of polyester and it is so heavy without any batting it's just laying on a bed. I have no idea what to do with it so I'm not going to finish it in any way. Strange choice but you use what you have. Small town and no fabric shops around.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
My mother started quilting in the polyester age and since she made all our clothing that's all she had to use for quilts. She made a huge flower garden quilt entirely out of polyester and it is so heavy without any batting it's just laying on a bed. I have no idea what to do with it so I'm not going to finish it in any way. Strange choice but you use what you have. Small town and no fabric shops around.
Just watch, any day now you'll see a new trend develop on the social networking sites about those fabulous, "vintage Poly quilts." All those 20 somethings will just HAVE to have one.
~ Cindy
Old 04-24-2014, 01:54 PM

To take another bend in the conversation...what about bamboo, hemp & hemp blends, thin woolens and other natural fibers besides cotton? Personally, I'd like to try bamboo. Also, I made my daughter's wedding gown out of a hemp/silk blend (gorgeous!) and I might try dying the scraps and using them in some way.

~ Cindy
Old 04-24-2014, 04:35 PM
sap

I had "the quilt police" tell me I couldn't use some silk once. rather than fight n argue I just said "show me the law that says I can't use it." the cop went and set down. I use whatever I want.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
And not one leisure suit went to waste! LOL

~ C

snork!

aileen
Old 04-25-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by sap View Post
I had "the quilt police" tell me I couldn't use some silk once. rather than fight n argue I just said "show me the law that says I can't use it." the cop went and set down. I use whatever I want.
I'd LOVE to try to use silk in a quilt! I'm not sure in which context yet...maybe a light, lofty, bed quilt. Or, what about a pretty satchel to hold something precious? I have some silk/hemp blend fabric that I really want to incorporate into a quilt. It has a fabulous texture and is very durable, but a tad on the heavy side. It might be good for the smaller pieces in a quilt.

~ Cindy
Old 04-25-2014, 07:15 AM

I had a friend once, who was into bamboo fabrics. She had a small, lingerie, production company and wanted to dye bamboo knits and make silky, soft undies out of it. She finally gave up because the process in China to make the bamboo fabric was far from organic and environmentally safe, not to mention cost ineffective, at least for production. I don't know if that's the case today. This was about ten years ago. The fabrics WERE beautiful, though. I'm pretty sure they did all kinds of weaves.

~Cindy