Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using spray starch >

Using spray starch

Using spray starch

Old 11-17-2015, 09:18 PM

My hands get all red & blotchy when I use Best Press/sizing & I seem to be developing a respiratory allergy to Niagra starch so I plan to go back to mixing my own starch solution.

I use probably close to a whole bottle of Niagra spray starch with every quilt & it hasn't harmed my iron in any way, shape or form. My ironing surface is another issue entirely. I either have to toss a sheet over the ironing board (since the cover isn't washable) or else I take a damp rag & wipe it down when I'm done for the day. I know some people say they iron freezer paper to the surface of their ironing board, but I could never get the hang of that with larger cuts of fabric; the fabric was always slipping around on me. However, that works great if I'm just pressing a bit of applique, touching up small pieces or pressing seams.

If you ever do feel like you are getting starch build up on your iron, just a wet rag/towel should be all you need to get it off. I should mention that I do not have a Teflon coated iron. I don't know whether that makes any difference.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:11 PM

A teflon sheet is great for ironing with starch. Keeps your iron clean
and of course the teflon doesn't stick to the fabric. Win-win.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:14 AM
Vat

I use Sta-Flo starch (buy at Walmart) and mix half with water. I use so much I should own stock in the company. I dampen my fabric and then spray it with the starch, but I allow it to dry and press. It is wonderful for helping to control bias and fraying. Also gives you and really flat press with your blocks. Think you will like it.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:28 AM

I use Faultless brand.It is available at the supermarket and is inexpensive. I was not impressed with Best Press.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:03 AM

I like Best Press Spray, and I have diluted it with some water at times to stretch it further. It works just fine.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:16 AM

I use both Sta-flo starch and Best Press but for different reasons.

Starch will give a firmer body to the fabric and I use that when doing pieces that have a bias edge and Seminole patchwork. I mix my own at 50/50 starch and water and put it in a spray bottle. I spray the fabric and then roll it up and let it mellow in a plastic bag for a while so the starch is absorbed into the fibers. This is important and I try to not be too impatient about it. I have a plastic dishpan that I spray into to contain some of the over spray. When I press I have a piece of muslin over my ironing board to save my pretty cover. If some gets on my iron (not usually the case with this method) then I clean the sole plate of my iron with Magic Erasure (cold iron, wet erasure).

I use Best Press when I want some extra body and crispness to a block when I'm pressing the block. It gives a lighter touch to the fabric than starch.

I found the best spray bottles are the ones used by hair dressers as they give a fine mist. I got mine at Sally's Beauty Supply. They are not very expensive. If you don't have a Sally's in your area ask your hairdresser where she gets her supplies.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I think one of the secrets to using spray starch is to spray your fabric and let it sit a few minutes to soak into the fabric fibers before pressing. If you press right after spraying you iron off the starch, get lots of white flakes and some residue on your iron.
I agree with this totally. I use the liquid and mix a bit at a time.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:50 AM

i call those pesky white flakes from starch...starch dandruff!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:56 AM

When your iron gets all gunky, instead of ironing the fabric, you're ironing the starch. I starch every piece of fabric I'm going to work with, at least 2 hours ahead of the time, throw it in a plastic bag, and let it sit, then I'll take it out, either line dry or throw in the dryer for a few minutes, then iron, have never had a problem with the iron getting all gunky then, I do spray mist with water since I don't use the steam on my iron. I spray on the right side and iron on the wrong side.

As far as "critters" liking the starched fabric, I've never had a problem with them and have stored starched fabrics plenty of times for a good amount of time, but would "caution" you, that if you have a "bug" problem then maybe you wouldn't want to store your starched fabrics.

I use the concentrated Sta-Flo brand and dilute 50/50, a spray bottle of it goes a lot farther than a can of starch and is a whole lot less expensive.

Last edited by pocoellie; 11-18-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:01 AM

I use Mary Ellen's and have never had a problem. As posted previously, I spritz all of my fabric pre-cutting so I'm working with wrinkle free fabric and it is nice and smooth.