Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using starch >

Using starch

Using starch

Old 12-04-2021, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I just bought some of that Terial Magic spray and love it. It was demo'd by a quilter I follow.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Homespuns are different from quilting cotton. I would starch the dickens out of them and use a larger seam allowance and smaller stitch length. The weave tends to be looser then quilting cotton.
I agree. I've only used homespuns once, but you definitely need to starch those a lot and use a 3/8 or 1/2" seam allowance. They ravel like crazy!
Old 12-04-2021, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Last summer HSN had Terial Magic spray on clearance, $4 for a large refill bottle. I forget that HSN has an extensive craft/sewing dept and many items go on clearance after so long on the air. I was able to get four bottles at the clearance price thanks to someone posting it on Facebook. Also there was an industry site that sold it by the gallon, cheap enough to buy and split with others. Many posted they were doing that.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:58 PM

I found that using a finer thread, such as Bottom Line (60 wt) helps a lot with my accuracy when I'm piecing miniatures.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:51 AM

I've always used Best Press in a mister sprayer. Must admit to being curious about the comment of Quilters Moonshine and had to google it. Wow! Never heard of this before, but I'm willing to try it as soon as I can get some Vodka!
Old 12-06-2021, 05:02 AM

Thank you all so much for all of the tips. I made some of the homemade “press” and did use it but I feel like it needs more starch added hence my question. I’ve never used the homemade stuff before and have only used homespun once so I did know of some of it’s properties. I haven’t had a chance to do anything yet except cut some large strips because I fell off the hay Saturday and had a head injury with a laceration so my morning was spent in the ER with no memory of the entire morning. Since I can’t do any horseback riding for a while, I will spend some time getting some longarming (I think I have 5 tops that need quilted) and some blocks done this week.
Again, thanks to everyone, and I will make my “press” starchier.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Oh dear, take it easy as you probably have a concussion if you have memory loss, concentrate on healing yourself!
Old 12-06-2021, 10:47 AM

I am not a big fan of starch either but the other day I did use some bottled press stuff and it certainly gave the fabric more body and looked better so when I feel it calls for it I will use it
Old 12-06-2021, 11:26 AM

Regarding the Quilter's Moonshine recipe:

The recipe that has liquid starch in it is a starch product.
The recipe that has vodka in it is NOT a starch product. It is nothing more than a lovely scented laundry spray. It helps release wrinkles but it does not starch your fabric.

The process of fermenting and distilling removes starch from vodka. When yeast is added to the raw ingredients, it eats the starch and converts it to alcohol. After fermentation, the distillation process removes impurities. The remaining product does not contain any starch.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:43 AM

Thank you for explaining this 'chemistry'. Whenever I see the idea that vodka has starch because it is made from a starch based product ( potatoes?) I get a little crazy. ;-).