Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Two Rulers to Cut- need help >

Using Two Rulers to Cut- need help

Using Two Rulers to Cut- need help

Old 12-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
Originally Posted by Kas
I line up ruler #1 (24 inch) and then place ruler #2 right up against it to steady the first. I cut as far as I can against #1 and then, while still holding down #1, slide #2 higher. Then I make sure I am still holding down #2 while I slide #1 higher as well for the rest of the cut.
Thanks, KAS, from a fellow Washingtonian!
You are welcome! I hope my directions made sense. Sometimes things don't come out of my brain in an orderly fashion!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
Originally Posted by luckylindy333
Originally Posted by Kas
I line up ruler #1 (24 inch) and then place ruler #2 right up against it to steady the first. I cut as far as I can against #1 and then, while still holding down #1, slide #2 higher. Then I make sure I am still holding down #2 while I slide #1 higher as well for the rest of the cut.
Thanks, KAS, from a fellow Washingtonian!
You are welcome! I hope my directions made sense. Sometimes things don't come out of my brain in an orderly fashion!
Yes, it makes sense, but I don't think it addresses what I was talking about. I had a hard time explaining what I was trying to figure out- using two rulers instead of using the markings on my cutting board. I am not trying to stack one ruler on top of the other, lol...
Old 12-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned

no, the explanation was not complete. Are you using two rulers for length or width of your cut. Are you cutting strips or blocks. Why are you using two rulers????????
Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 PM

Rotary Magic by Nancy Johnson-Srebro
covers lots of info on how to use the rulers.
I got mine from Amazon.com
Old 12-02-2010, 02:47 PM

NativeTexan has provided a link to a web site with diagrams and good explaination for using two rulers for lining up your first cut to square up your fabric. Good detailed explaination.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:11 PM

Those are really great instructions. I love that website...very good patterns for all levels quilting skill, and very good instructions for all basic quilting techniques. I direct any of my new quilting students to this website..you can get answers to nearly everything here!!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
no, the explanation was not complete. Are you using two rulers for length or width of your cut. Are you cutting strips or blocks. Why are you using two rulers????????
I want to use two rulers because my cutting mat is not accurate. I guess I have to say for both the length and the width of the cuts. I would be cutting both strips and then blocks... probably strips most often for strip piecing...