Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using and unusual material >

using and unusual material

using and unusual material

Old 01-28-2014, 05:49 AM

Default using and unusual material

I have some flannel backed nylon tricot material (60 in wide and only $1.50 a yard!) and wondered how it would do for a backing on a quilt. I would likely tie the quilt (or comfort), but I wondered what to use for the top. Would it be better to use a poly/cotton blend, or would cotton be OK if I prewash. Also, the nylon is pretty heavy so I am not sure whether to use batting, possibly a thin poly batting. I could put the flannel out or the nylon. Any thoughts on using this material.

Thanks,
Jp
Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 AM

Welcome to the board. I have no answers, but would be interested in what others say.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 AM

Is this the silky material they make brushed satin gowns from? My first thought is that your quilt will likely go sliding off the bed. . Years ago, I bought some satin sheets, thinking they'd feel nice, and everything slid off. My kids used to dive onto the mattress when they were little and fly off the other side.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, not familar with this type of material. Be sure that this flannel type material won't shrink if washed. Welcome to the board !!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 AM

I've sewn with this fabric but have not used it in a quilt. It does slip and slide but wears beautifully. It would be easier tying rather than quilting and could easily be mixed with all other fabrics of similar washability. As to the batting, I am not sure. I look forward to reading about your experiences with this fabric.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:11 AM

Slipping probably would be an issue. Perhaps I should put the nylon on the inside, and yes, tie because I think it may be hard to quilt. Nylon tricot is what slips are made of, but I am not sure if there are different weights, thicknesses (something like that).

Thanks,
Jp
Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Sounds like it would be a bit difficult to work with no matter which way you placed the fabric, just too slippery. Anything is worth a try, let us know how it goes. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
I have some flannel backed nylon tricot material (60 in wide and only $1.50 a yard!) and wondered how it would do for a backing on a quilt. I would likely tie the quilt (or comfort), but I wondered what to use for the top. Would it be better to use a poly/cotton blend, or would cotton be OK if I prewash. Also, the nylon is pretty heavy so I am not sure whether to use batting, possibly a thin poly batting. I could put the flannel out or the nylon. Any thoughts on using this material.

Thanks,
Jp
do you know how it will perform in the dryer?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
do you know how it will perform in the dryer?
like an electric generation station!

aileen
Old 01-28-2014, 02:25 PM

I would spray baste it to the batting, you want the brushed side down. Any fabric for the top I would use fleece for the top.
Then quilt or tie it.