Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Up Scraps >

Using Up Scraps

Using Up Scraps

Old 09-04-2022, 09:39 AM

Two years ago I vowed not to buy any more fabric until I used up what I have. I've made about 8 quilts in the last two years and gave away a couple good sized bags of scraps yet somehow have ended up with way more fabric than I started with. I'm amazed at how it multiplies like magic.
Old 09-04-2022, 04:54 PM

Default Scraps

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Save yourself now from falling down the Scraps Rabbit Hole!! LOL. After my first scrappy quilt left pieces of fabric literally covering my sewing area, I organized and said, "Never again!"...Until next time! I'm currently working on a scrappy quilt. Finished all the blocks and waiting to be joined together. I like a method (don't know what it is called) where each scrap strip is added next to previous. Here's my first.
Is this a pattern or did you just make it up. Trying to figure measurements. I have so many scraps and this is so different from the many string quilts I have made. Love it!
Old 09-05-2022, 04:16 AM

Thanks! I made up the pattern after seeing a similar block. Not difficult at all.
  • I cut the foundation squares, 10"(?)
  • Used my iron to make two "guide" lines
  • 1. diagonal-corner to corner
  • 2. 60 degree line
  • sew strips to diagonal side, then
  • sew strips to 60 degree side
Message me with any questions!
Old 09-05-2022, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
So here are some trueisms I have learned over the years - do any sound familiar??

- the goal of all scraps is to reproduce. They do it on the sly, in the dead of night when all quiilters are asleep - it is a conspiracy
- all fabric in the stash that has been used must be replaced by more than was used
- there are never enough fabric in the stash to make the needed number of blocks needed for the quilt
- there is never enough matching fabric in the stash to complete the quilt
- there is no fabric in the stash that matches the focus fabric of the quilt
- if you have enough of the matching fabric, then your rotary cutter slips or your fabric is folded when you cut out the most critical or largest pieces
- if you give away half of of your scraps, the remaining ones expand to fill the space
- when you buy all the fabric you need to make a particular quilt you either loose a pattern, put the fabric in a "safe place" and can't find it or (my most common problem) you make another quilt first and use some of the special fabric.
- when you go to the store and find the same fabric you were short of, you get home and discover the dye lots are different and it doesn't match
- what was going to be the backing fabric turns out to be too thin and normally used for a lining fabric so off to the fabric section again. (my problem with about 100 boxes NOT one piece will work for the Cop Quilt. Goofy must have sneaked in and switched it.

All the rest are absolutly from my quilt statch as well. :}}
Old 09-05-2022, 06:15 AM

Quilted Twins and Bonnie Hunter are great sites for scrappy quilt patterns. I've been using up mine this way. The scraps from one quilt just went into a Quadruple Irish Chain quilt. Couldn't call it a Triple cause it had more rows than a triple. Wondered why none of the triple chain quilting patterns would fit correctly...DUH.

Lately most all of my quilts have been from scraps from other quilts. But for whatever reason my scraps don't diminish in time but multiple as if they're procreating during the night.

I haven't bought yardage since November 2018 as I put myself on a "NO FABRIC BUYING" spree until I can find room for all the fabrics I have now. I've got them tucked under the quilt frame, under the pressing station, along the cutting table. You name it, I've got them stashed somewhere but not ont he shelves where they need to be. My scrap bins are over flowing too.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Save yourself now from falling down the Scraps Rabbit Hole!! LOL. After my first scrappy quilt left pieces of fabric literally covering my sewing area, I organized and said, "Never again!"...Until next time! I'm currently working on a scrappy quilt. Finished all the blocks and waiting to be joined together. I like a method (don't know what it is called) where each scrap strip is added next to previous. Here's my first.
There is a free paper pieced pattern called Eastern Sunrise on happyturtlequilts.blogspot.ca that looks just like your quilt. I see you use a different method of construction to get the same look.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:24 AM

That's it! I saw the block on Pinterest and improvised!
Old 09-06-2022, 04:24 PM

Aashley333

Thanks so much. Going to give it a try.

Last edited by VaQuiltgal; 09-06-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:15 PM

I've started doing pieced backs to use up leftover fabric from the front.Typically a simple medallion of some sort. I knew a customer who swore by what she called her fabric journey quilts where all leftovers were cut into a specific size/shape and added onto a single top over time until it was big enough to suit her. I tried it once and hated the end result so much I chopped it up into doll quilts for the nieces and nephews. 😆
Old 09-10-2022, 04:02 AM

Any block pattern can be turned into a scrappy pattern!! I do many, many scrappy quilts but I find that I get overwhelmed if I just look at a bin of scraps and don't know where to start. My method is to choose a background of cream or white/white, scraps of course, and then choose one color from my colors scraps or bin of smallish pieces. This makes for a very scrappy quilt with a bazillion of variations within one color way. Some time I will chose one contrasting color to use consistently throughout the quilt to sort of make every thing work nicely together. (Green/white & yellow quilt below.)

Other options is to use traditional color groups such as red/white/blue or purple, turquoise, blue or black and white. Often with the black and white I will add one color for pop!

This method works well for me. It leaves me focused, keeps the scraps down to a manageable level and has made many donation quilts that I am proud to pass on to someone else.
Attached Thumbnails 2018-6-18-mystery-train-18-resized.jpg   2020-4-12-quilt-police-finished-resized.jpg   2022-05-27-bevs-quilt-resized-72-x-80.jpg