Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using white fabric >

Using white fabric

Using white fabric

Old 01-21-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Well, if it's a law that you can't use white in a quilt, I'm in BIG trouble!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd say use the color(s) that you want....
Me too!! Hey Joyce, love the new avatar!
I noticed your new avatar too, Joyce. What a cutie!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

I guess I am in trouble, too. I love the fresh look of white. I use it way more than I do off white or creams. I use what I like so I guess that is all that matters!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 PM

If/when we can't use white, maybe we'll be allowed to use white-on-white, antique-white, paper-white, pure-white, winter-white, off-white, alabaster-white, cream, eggshell, natural, bone, linen, ivory, snow, ice, birch, porcelain, oyster, pearl, ecru, bisque, sand, shell, oatmeal, mushroom, almond, vanilla . . .oh wait, already did!

Use what you like and enjoy!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

I like using the white on whites, they are a little heavier and other fabrics don't show through as much, the same with battings :D:D:D Does this make me a rebel???? LMBO
Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I like using the white on whites, they are a little heavier and other fabrics don't show through as much, the same with battings :D:D:D Does this make me a rebel???? LMBO
LOL!! Is your middle name "Johnny Yuma"? Boy, does that ever date me!! :lol: :roll: Maybe we're both Johnny's, but it works for me! :thumbup:

Happy sewing,
Old 01-23-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
I have been told by several quilters that white fabric should not be used in a quilt. I can not figure out why this would be so because it is a good blender. I am not talking about a bright white. I am making another Bento Box quilt and some of the fabrics have a little bit of white so I am using white as the light color and it looks fine to me. Does anyone have any answers to this.
;) ;)

I love the off white and use it often as I make a lot of 30' reproduction quilts and it looks great with the 30' fabrics. :roll:
Old 01-23-2010, 05:28 AM

maybe becausew it is a real vibrant color and one should use it sparingly :thumbdown: I WILL USE IT IF i HAVE IT AND WANT TO USE IT :thumbup:
Old 01-23-2010, 06:50 AM

be careful with loose threads that might cling to the batting--they'll show through the white in the quilt blocks. I have used white before--(of course i prewashed the fabrics)--my only problem was a thread that got sandwiched in the quilt--and it is visible behind the white fabric.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by masmipa
be careful with loose threads that might cling to the batting--they'll show through the white in the quilt blocks. I have used white before--(of course i prewashed the fabrics)--my only problem was a thread that got sandwiched in the quilt--and it is visible behind the white fabric.
I've done that before also -- and why does it ALWAYS have to be a red thread (even if there isn't a speck of red in the quilt)???? :lol:
Old 01-23-2010, 07:24 AM

Sounds like the self appointed quilt police. White fabric has been used in quilts going way back in time.
My personal choice would be plain white over white on white as I have had some of the printing flake off or turn yellow over time. However I still use it sometimes and put the printed side on the inside.