Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using white fabric >

Using white fabric

Using white fabric

Old 01-23-2010, 04:01 PM

I just bought two yards of Kona white on sale and I'm on a "never buy fabric again" kick! I go through stages, but I always love a crisp white with color. I like that "never say never!" Create what moves you and ignore the critics! They're probably out of white...
Old 01-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
I have been told by several quilters that white fabric should not be used in a quilt. I can not figure out why this would be so because it is a good blender. I am not talking about a bright white. I am making another Bento Box quilt and some of the fabrics have a little bit of white so I am using white as the light color and it looks fine to me. Does anyone have any answers to this.
the only thing I can relate this to is when I was in college, and taking a painting class. We were not allowed to OWN tube of white oil paint for a semester.

The purpose behind that was sound .... she wanted us to not rely on the obvious add white to change color and tone.

This could in some fashion correlate to fabric, but as it doesn't physically blend, I dunno...
Old 01-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Does this make all the "grandma's quilts" out there wrong? Almost every antique quilt I see has a white background! Of course, if you use a cheap fabric, you will have shadowing on the seam if they are not pressed correctly. (How do I know? Humm...)
Old 01-23-2010, 09:51 PM

In some of the lg Shows, there have been winning Ribbons given to quilts with white fabric. I think if it is your quilt, use what you like & want. If there is a Quilt Police...I'm another one in big trouble. :-D
Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 PM

Sewing and crafting is to use ones own imagination so go ahead break the rules. I have and didn't hear any sirens yet. I have also pulled off mattress tags too uhoh.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:45 AM

Never heard not to use white. Personally I never use plain bright white because I am worried about grubby little fingers touching it and of course having something that never washes out on them so that spot would truly stand out. I have yet to have a running color problem with my fabrics, do they still do this these days? go for the white if you like it. I see it used here all the time.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:46 AM

ps thought it was shoes you weren't supposed to wear in white after Labor day and before Memorial day not fabric that is white in quilts.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 AM

White is great in quilts, You are doing all the right things with washing your fabrics so they want bleed into each other. If you are using reds make sure when you was it that it comes out clear. I wash all of my fabrics before using them. This way when you wash an item it want shrink on you.

Cookie
Old 01-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
I have been told by several quilters that white fabric should not be used in a quilt. I can not figure out why this would be so ....
it's because the quilters who told you that tale are goofball idiots. :roll:
Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Banned

I use white.....I use whatever color I want.