Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Wrap and Zap >

Using Wrap and Zap

Using Wrap and Zap

Old 11-20-2017, 05:47 AM

I've made 100's of these and what I do to keep them more stable is...when doing the top stitching after turning right side out...I go from dart to dart in the bottom of the bowl. I haven't tried bamboo but sounds interesting. You'd want to be sure there is nothing synthetic in it. Please also keep in mind that Warm and Natural has 12% polypropylene so don't use that. Joann has a product on the bolt that is 100% cotton NO SCRIM. I use two layers of that...one on each piece of fabric and it works well.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:09 AM

Here are pictures of my bowl holders after washing. Honestly can't remember if hot water was used, but it's possible. How I made them is described above (post #7). They looked lovely before washing. I used two layers of wrap n zap, nothing else. All material and thread 100% cotton also.

mengler yours look good, I like the embroidery in the bottom, cute idea.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584118[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]584119[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]584120[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_3990-copy.jpg   100_3991-copy.jpg   100_3993-copy.jpg  
Old 11-20-2017, 06:16 AM

I noticed on the packaging for the wrap n zap that is says to wash in cold and dry on low setting. I probably didn't do either of those things, in addition to not preshrinking. Today I am going to preshrink some and then make more bowls...will report back w/end results.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:38 AM

I can't get my bowl holders to stand up. They always flatten out like hot pads. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:13 AM

When giving these holders I always enclose instructions and advise that the holders will be misshapen after washing.
I advise to damp dry and pull into shape. Most people don't care what they look like as long as they work.

To help keep the shape, I sew to 2 rows of stitching around the top edge. This does help to firm them up.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
I can't get my bowl holders to stand up. They always flatten out like hot pads. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Try making the side darts deeper. I make mine 1 and 1/2 half inches.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:44 AM

Minibarn thank you. I do the embroidery if it’s a wedding gift using rayon never polyester thread. There’s another batting called warm tater batting which has been replaced by warm and plush ya might try. Also microwave safe. Just wondering if how you assemble makes a difference. I stitch down batting to the top fabric then repeat with the bottom fabric darts and all so it’s a sandwich with nothing in the middle, trimming the batting back about 3/8” around the top edge before stitching together and turning. Then I Elmer’s glue the opening and topstitch close to the top edge. Don’t know if your method is different. Just sharing mine.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:23 AM

I just seen an article that said they were receiving a lot of reports about the fabric, no matter the kind starting fires in the microwave. Kind of makes me not want to try them.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:09 AM

mengler- yep that's basically the same way I did mine. I did preshrink some of the wrap n zap yesterday so I plan to try more bowls and see what happens. Also, going to make sure they are washed in cold and dried on low or ever air dried.

shasta- one of the problems is the fabric being in the microwave for too long. The batting so no more than 2 mins at a time and then let it cool off if it starts getting hot.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:26 AM

It seems to me that these bowl wraps are like other quilt products we make as gifts -- you never know (with or without instructions) how they will be treated by the owner or to someone the owner passes them on to. I can picture a child home alone after school microwaving something -- I doubt if the 2 minute limit would be on his mind.