Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Using your wedding gown as fabric

I made my wedding gown and veil. When my daughter turned 7,I used them to make her First Communion dress and veil. When my first grandchild was born, I cut it down again for a Baptismal gown!

I made my daughter's christening dress using the fabric and lace from my wedding dress. I knew I wasn't going to use (or fit into) the dress again so it was worth the risk. It worked out so well!

I wore a lace mantilla instead of a veil and I plan to make a top to wear with a velvet skirt.

A co-worker, asked me to make something out of her wedding dress for her three grown children. I washed it in cold water and then made 4 pillows with her wedding photo in the mdiddle, of each. Turned out terrific and they all just loved their keepsake's. the forth one was for my friend.

My daughter's MIL had 2 christening dresses made from her wedding gown (she has 2 sons). They were beautiful. Now they will be passed down. I understand that it is hard to cut into a wedding dress, but what else do you use it for. Chances are the daughters will want their own dresses when they get married.
    Sue

I made my moms into a baptismal gown that many babies have worn. I made mine into a dress for the angel on our Christmas tree. Have fabric left to make my children one at some point.

Blog Entries
    One of my bosses in Mi. had her wedding dress made into a gorgeous bassinet skirt etc. and cover for her shower.

I have made my GD christening gown and matching blanket out of detachable bridal train from daughters gown .I have also made Christmas stockings for each of my children and put the front bodice of my gown on my Christmas tree skirt. I wanted my kids to be able to share a part of our special day it is a keepsake for them.I will post some pics but they may show up on other link .

Tree Skirt
    Name:  Attachment-132876.jpe
Views: 517
Size:  57.7 KB

Christmas Stockings
    Name:  Attachment-132951.jpe
Views: 165
Size:  53.8 KB

Christening Gown & Blanket
    Name:  Attachment-133111.jpe
Views: 250
Size:  53.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I used my first wedding gown (after the divorce) into linings for baskets, decorated the baskets with silk flowers and lace and beads and sold them.
    That was many many moons ago.

Blog Entries
    As my DD was 5'10" and maybe 106lbs at the time, and I was 5'3" and 120lbs when I got married, needless to say, she wasn't going to wear my gown. After taking it all apart and separating lace, satin and crenoline, I made two baptismal gowns, 1 girl, frilly,lacey and with sequins and matching bonnet and 1 boy, using the satin and very little frills, more like a lace overlay and a matching bonnet. My DD still has both, and they will be passed down to her children.

I bought christening dolls and made dresses for them for each of my daughters. Also bought a brass doll bed for each.
    I also made the pocketbook a bride uses at the reception for my granddaughters wedding.

Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground
    I am doing a wedding gown Cathedral window pattern with pillow shams and pictures of the wedding inside the windows.. for my niece and her new hubby..the got married on January 1st 2011..just waiting for the pictures to come in then add them..

Twenty five years ago, I spent three months making my daughter's wedding dress. I hand appliqued yards of lace and 3000 hand sewn seed pearls. I will come back and haunt anyone who dares to cut into my creation. But after years of apparel sewing I realized there had to be something more. I discovered quilting! I have been happy all these years to create quilts and have not made one piece of clothing since. What a happy happenstance!
    Severna

Made my gown 32 years ago and them made Communion dresses for my three daughters. I plan to use my gown and their dresses for christening outfits for grandchildren (someday!)

I got extra wedding fabrics---bride's and the two mother's dresses and the maid of honor---and used them to make a Christmas stocking, as a gift for their first married Christmas....didn't take long but is a beloved keepsake.

Quote Originally Posted by DA Mayer
    Has anyone made anything using a wedding gown as fabric?
    I made one for my daughters best friend. See if this link works
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...85478477zkeqNy

The beading is the beading that was along the bottom of her skirt.

Blog Entries
    A lot of quilts have been made form men's ties which are made from satin and silk. Why not a wedding dress? I don't guess their are any rules. As long as you could work with the the material, I don't see why not.

I just made a garter for my niece for her wedding from
    her mom's and grandmothers wedding gowns.
    I also made a Baptisam dress from a nother nieces
    wedding gown, her mom's and her grandmothers dresses
    Lynda

Don't be afraid to make the chistening dress. It is easier than you think. Just take your time with those extra small pieces. I have made a few of these and the joy is in the child who wears them. Just do it and keep us informed on your progress. THere is so much that can be made from a wedding dress with all that fabric. You can do it.

Blog Entries
    I made a Baptisemal outfit from my nieces' gown. All five boys wore it. I took it apart seam by seam. Laid the sleeves on the sleeves, etc. Kept the front of the skirt as one piece and made the skirt of the gown from it. I will try and find a photo to post.

I thought it was not too hard.

I made covered photo albums for both my daughters when they got married. It was easy and they both loved the albums. I know a lot of people make christening dresses out of theirs but I really think it depends on the fabric.

Blog Entries
    I made a baptismal gown from my daughter's wedding gown. Both of her daughters have worn it. I really had a hard time cutting into the dress. I think I called her twice to make sure she really wanted me to do it. It turned out very nice.

my daughter-in-law wants me to make christian gown .

My sister and I made a bassinett cover and christening outfits first for our niece and then for her sister-in-law out of their wedding dresses. One was a christening dress and the other was a little boy suit. Both had the little bonnets to go with them.

We used the end of the train for the back of the dress. It was beautiful.
    Name:  Attachment-145647.jpe
Views: 38
Size:  58.4 KB

Her double-layer veil (w/comb) was used over the top. We didn't make any changes to it.
    Name:  Attachment-145648.jpe
Views: 44
Size:  28.6 KB

My sister, Nancy did most of the work on the boy outfit.
    Name:  Attachment-145649.jpe
Views: 42
Size:  65.1 KB

Here we are at the shower. The entire strapless bodice was beaded and sequined and used for the hood of the bassinett. We had to buy the organza for the base and I hand sewed all the lace appliques from the wedding dress leftovers after making the christening dress. The dress is in the pink box yet to be opened. My niece was surprised and elated as she just asked for the christening dress to be made.
    Name:  Attachment-145795.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  49.4 KB

I made a christening gown for a 6 month old from my friends moms and grandmas wedding dresses that had been made into a rather large bag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

B J
    Yes, I have. It did make a beautiful gown. The only problem I had was the baby slipped out of it when you picked her up. I made the underslip out of the underlining of the dress which made it very slippery. Don't worry, she wasn't droped, she was still in the crib.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast