Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Using your wedding gown as fabric

I took my mother's wedding dress and covered 4 scrapbooks with it and put copies of my parents wedding pictures inside.

We renewed our vows on our 25th anniversary. A friend took the long sleeves from my gown and used them to add a V to the side of my dress where I'd gained a few pounds. No one had a clue it was remade. My new sleeveless dress was gorgeous.
    I should do something with it now since I'll probably never wear it again. Grand kids are too old to use it as quilts etc. There are some lovely pieces here with some great ideas.

If you ever watch Say Yes to the Dress the dresses are so expensive that I just can't imagine cutting it up for any reason. I made my wedding dress. It has a very wide lace dress bottom (with matching cuffs)made of handmade lace that was made by my great grandmother. The fabric is nothing special, a light gauze, and too light for a quilt. It would make a nice christening gown though. I also had two lace appliques that were on my mother's and grandmother's wedding dresses.

Yep. I got married 3 years ago in beautiful red brocade with gold godets in the skirt, at Christmas.

I have lost weight since and will never fit into that dress again and as the waistline dipped from the waist on one side to the hip on the other it was going to be a nightmare to try and alter it, I have cut it up (it is silk!) and am using it in a silk quilt that I am making. It will be a wonderful keepsake of an extremely happy day.

I am buying wedding dresses, I use the fabric and lace for a lot of different things. I don't pay much, but it's something.

Not my wedding gown, but that of others. European relatives who migrated here, made wedding gowns from silk parachutes that were discarded in fields etc. during the WWII. Many years later, I was given them to pull apart and make into christening gowns and underwear. The silk was very good quality.

I made a christening gown for my first grandson (now 15) and six of my ten grandchildren wore it. I made ribbons detachable bows so it wouln't be as fou fou for the boys. It took almost all the skirt of my gown with the lace embellishments as the christening gown was quite long. All I had left was the bodice and covered buttons. It will be handed down to the next generation so very worthwhile project.

I'm making mine into a crazy wall hanging, and keeping the rest of it for my boys future weddings to make ring bearer pillows. :)

www.patchworkbear.com

She makes quilts and teddy bears out of wedding gowns.

I was going to make christening dresses out of mine for my daughters but my mother had a fit. The dress is still in the same box 46 years later and the only time it has been out was for a "womanless wedding" pic for the paper/

I think making them into Christening gowns is wonderful idea...also as accesories for weddings. Mine was ruined with rust spots by the holy water "sprinkler" :(

Blog Entries
    Grand daughter had someone make a baby quilt form hers.

I used my weddidng gown to make teddy bears for my kids and grandkids and grgrandkids. Girls got lacy bears and boys got bears with a cumberband and bow tie of lace and satin. My dil had worn the dress and no one else was interested in it. I did not want to see it sit in the box and came up with the idea of the teddy bears. I made one set for me and all loved them and I hope will cherish them. Have more lace and may make a ring bearer pillow and some sachets.

My great grandmother made a christening dress out of her wedding dress. It was long and hung almost to the floor. I used it for my daughter. It was very fragile but was such a special thing. I have thought of making one out of my dress but am not sure the grandkids would want to use it anyway.

I used my weddidng gown to make teddy bears for my kids and grandkids and grgrandkids. Girls got lacy bears and boys got bears with a cumberband and bow tie of lace and satin. My dil had worn the dress and no one else was interested in it. I did not want to see it sit in the box and came up with the idea of the teddy bears. I made one set for me and all loved them and I hope will cherish them. Have more lace and may make a ring bearer pillow and some sachets.

I've seen some beautiful quilts made from wedding gowns. The satins and laces are stunning.

Cynthia

Took several tries to make the first cut on my gown. Made several teddy bears for kids and grkids and grgrkids. Lace for the girls and lace cumberbands and bowtie for the boys. Kept a set for myself and all loved the idea of granny's gown being used this way. Also love seeing the orignial wedding pics of the gown. funny.... will also make some ring bearer pillows and some lace sachets from the rest.

Blog Entries
    Haven't used a wedding dress but did take DD graduation dress I had made( dress and fabric was featured on the front of Redbook some years ago) and made grandaughter a christening gown, it was adorable and since the fabric was pricey, got two for the price of one!

I made a First communion Dress for my grandaughter from her mother's dress which I had also made. It was taking up a lot of room in my closet so it seemed a good use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    Great ideas as I bought a huge size wedding dress at a garage sale for $1 - it wasn't the cleanest - but has tons of lace, beads, etc. on it and I figured that $1 was well spent.
    What did you make with it?

Blog Entries
    I have made a many Christing dress and romper sets. Just depends on how old the child is. There is lots of patterns
    out there to do this with but the pretty inlaids of the dress should be put on the back of the coat and some on front of the coats if there is lots to use. Just completely dismantle the dress and use the underslip to line with. There isn't much material in the new stapless type but enough for the dress and botties. I alway include a register book so there is a record of the babies thet used the dress or rompers and stays with the outfits. I have had some dresses with enough material to make a girls
    and a boys outfit from. Not any more. Dresses went a fabric diet. Shirley Anne

my mom cut mine up & made christening gown for oldest dd... it is absolutely gorgeous

Power Poster
    No but I feel bad that it is sitting in a box in my 3rd floor. I do have 3 boys and I'm sure they are not going to be using it so maybe someday I will give it to Goodwill or Salvation Army.

You can make warps for premature babies that didnt make it. Also you can make pillows and crazy quilts.

Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    These are photos of crazy quilts made from wedding gowns. I took them at Houston International Quilt show 2009. Sorry the colors are not true. They were shades of white.
    Donna
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast