Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Using your wedding gown as fabric

Mine was made into two Mass Vestments. One for the Missions,one for the family. I made a Christening bonnet out of the bodice.

From MN, living full time in our Motor Home
    I made a christening gown out of mine and it looks lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabbystabber
    These are photos of crazy quilts made from wedding gowns. I took them at Houston International Quilt show 2009. Sorry the colors are not true. They were shades of white.
    Donna
    Everyone's pictures are so beautiful, but I think yours are the most creative. Wish I could see them all in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne
    I have made a many Christing dress and romper sets. Just depends on how old the child is. There is lots of patterns
    out there to do this with but the pretty inlaids of the dress should be put on the back of the coat and some on front of the coats if there is lots to use. Just completely dismantle the dress and use the underslip to line with. There isn't much material in the new stapless type but enough for the dress and botties. I alway include a register book so there is a record of the babies thet used the dress or rompers and stays with the outfits. I have had some dresses with enough material to make a girls
    Have you made them for family or for other people? I love the idea of the book to go with the clothes
    and a boys outfit from. Not any more. Dresses went a fabric diet. Shirley Anne

Somewhere, besides Houston, I saw an incredibly beautiful all white largish crazy quilt made of satin, velvet and silk, decorated with all kinds of white lace, sparkling stones, pearls, beads, embroidery, and lots and lots of eveything else...
    It is time for something new....sooooo
    One could start with resale wedding dresses and lace veils?
    Even combining a white satin dress with pastels, think brides maid dresses, would make a beautiful quilt - think outside of the box and use traditional quilt patterns.

Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    The quilts were amazing. There is an organization that will send you used gowns to make a quilt. Here is a little info .
    The “Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation” offers many
    opportunities to participate in fund raising programs. “Quilters Against
    Breast Cancer” provided these ladies with the opportunity to do
    something they love – quilt! - which results in a stunning quilt creation
    that was returned to Making Memories to be sold/raffled to raise funds to
    help grant a final wish for a terminal breast cancer patient. If memory does not fail me the quilts at Houston were made for this organization. I love quilters. We are such a giving group of folks.
    Donna

som
    Blog Entries
    my nieces husband passed,but they had a son, after a while ,she remarried ,she gave me the dress to do whatever i wanted to do with it was pretty dirty ,a few other people had used it . i put it in the washer and dryer it turned out just like new her son is only 16 ,but i made a christning blanket to give him someday . and i have enough left to make a dress i already gave it to her so i cant post pictures,

I;'d love to see a photo of this baby quilt. Sounds intriguing

Crazy quilt. You can use prom dresses, etc. When I made mine, I used all the "YOU CAN ALWAYS WARE IT AGAIN" dresses I had and from some close friends too. Made 4 all using the same fabrics, but all turned out different. And then I put different backings on each one. You can use lace, trim, buttons, etc. from your dress (or dresses). They look great and you enjoy them more and more over time. Good luck and happy sewing :lol:

Blog Entries
    Yes. I donated my gown to the local high school for their theatre program and cut up the train to put in a victorian crazy quilt. It turned out pretty good - but not my style now.

My niece gave me her wedding dress that was in her closet, for 30 years, she didn't do anything to the dress before she put it away just rolled it in a ball & put it in a bag. It was a mess, but she wanted a christening dress made from it. It was a satin dress, I didn't want to pay for cleaning ,so I washed it by hand in woollit & it came out pretty clean.
    This is what I ended up making from it.

So go for it, I know it is scary to start cutting it up, but what else will they do with it. So I say try...Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

My cousin has always used the bride's gown to make christening gowns for the child(ren). Depending on the sex of the child she selects certain parts - frilly/lacy for the girls, simple parts for the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by DA Mayer
    Has anyone made anything using a wedding gown as fabric?
    What wedding gown???

:P :-P :-P :P Didn't have one....

Yes in 1976 was whenst my Son was born & so then whenst he was only 5 days old & with his Christening coming up on exactly the 7th day - & me being in no mood to shop etc.....I then used my wedding dress....but of course not much fabric was needed......& I then did embroidery across the front....then also had some baby blue ribbon that I threaded through the hem line & then made a Christening bonnet out of my veil....viola - he looked the best.

And not bad I must say for one that thought they could never sew.....

I made a Barbie wedding dress out of mine. Of course I didn't use much, but then when my youngest daughter got married, she made her own gown and took some fabric from my dress and incorporated it into hers. It was really pretty.

No, but I bet it will look beautiful.

My great grandmother took her mother's wedding dress & made a christening gown with it.(from 1800's). Every generation has used it to christen the babies. With it being so old, we lay it upon the child, to fragile to dress them in it. My mother has made a christening gown with her sister's wedding dress for her boys' babies since their mother had died of cancer when they were little. They all had a piece of her to pass on to their children. I haven't done anything with mine. Has been hanging in the closset for almost 35 years. If any of my children ever get married, maybe I'll make each of them a ring pillow or some thing.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I have made some beautiful satin pillows ...and they are special keepsakes..

Make teddy bears, ring pillows for each of your kids for future use. Christening gowns are nice, make several if you can. Make a miniature dress for a doll to remember yur gown. I thought the other day, for a wedding reception, to have manniwuins around with everyones wedding gowns displayed that still had them.

Blog Entries
    I've cut up two different gowns one was amazing and it killed me to cut it up, but when it was done the mother in-law and mother of the baby cried when they saw it. The second one was ugly but it had a lot of lace on the vail that I pulled of. The baby's gown was 10 times prettier than the wedding dress. So just start cutting, it like learning to clip curves.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: truly a awesome Quilter.

I made a friend a Teddy Bear ( my other hobby) out of her gown.
    The bear was made from the satin, then I copied the gown from the top fabrics, then rebeaded it with the pearls. It came out very nice, she was happy

Blog Entries
    Mine isn't satin and isn't as fancy as some of these people are talking about. My Mom did make it and so it is very precious to me. I have to keep thinking about this and then I am going to make some kind of quilt with it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5