Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Value of a kit vs purchasing yardage for the pattern >

Value of a kit vs purchasing yardage for the pattern

Value of a kit vs purchasing yardage for the pattern

Old 09-24-2013, 05:46 AM

I have bought many many kits. I have always seen a sample of the quilt or whatever the kit is for already made. So I know what Im getting and what it will look like finished. I have always received more than enough fabric. I love the fact that all the fabrics go so well together and I did'nt have to worry about that. When I see a sample quilt and love it and want to make it, why would I want to change it and add other fabrics?? My stash is sooo big, I don't want alot of left over scraps either. I buy them all the time!!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I've bought three kits and only made one of them so far. I did have plenty of fabric and the type of pattern (Cake Mix) made it so you could have a different quilt from the pattern picture. Because my sister loved the finished quilt so much I gave it to her, that I wished I had bought two.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:14 AM

I've only bought kits from my LQS. They are excellent quality and quantity, and priced at the same as buying the fabric and pattern separately. I would probably have bought more of each of the fabrics then had extra to put into my stash. Not sure if that is good or bad! LOL!

Linda in Missouri
Old 09-24-2013, 06:23 AM

I usually love quilt kits as I'm not real good at matching colors etc. Connecting Threads quilts always have extra fabric and they don't charge extra for cutting it. That makes their pre-cuts the same price as buying yardage. I've always had plenty of leftovers from their kits. And I usually buy them on clearance so that helps, too.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 AM

I've bought a few kits but I always substitute a few fabrics to make the kit look different. When I get ready to work on the kit, I critique the fabric choices and go to my LQS to buy a few substitutes. If a fabric looks skimpy, I can buy more of a sub fabric. I can't stand the idea of making a kit just like someone else's kit.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:45 AM

I bought a Storm at Sea kit (first kit purchase from anywhere) recently from Flynn Quilts for several reasons: I'm having vision problems which make me reluctant to trust my own rotary cutting skills (and safety doing it); the batik colors were beautiful; I've always wanted to do a SAS but cutting and sewing accurately for this pattern is challenging---and the kit pieces here have laser cut 'cheats' of engineered corners that will greatly help.
Intimated is the word for what I have still felt. Thank you for the post. I've now pulled the kit out and some of my concerns are disappearing. I was thinking that each size piece ran the gamut for the batik color wave but they don't---much easier for the mathematical mind to handle grabbing any color pieces that are meant to adjoin. Phew!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 AM

Seems most kits that I like are in blue colors. Im a green person so don't buy many kits.
Have one that I bought several years ago and have only made 3 blocks so far. It is batiks and a beautiful quilt called Back To Nature.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 AM

I have used the occasional kit, but only if I really liked the included fabrics, and I was in a time crunch. For example, when my nephew gave me 2 months notice that he was getting married and would just love one of my quilts for a wedding present! The kit saved me so much time, and it turned out beautifully! I have only bought kits from Connecting Threads and Keepsake Quilting, both of which have provided high quality kits with plenty of fabric for the design. I cannot speak to other quilt shops. I hadn't thought about buying clearance quilts for the fabric, but it sounds like a great idea!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Kits are Ok, but be sure to make them right away so if you should need more fabric you will stand a better chance of finding the fabric. Takes all the work out of picking fabrics, but that is part of the fun of making quilts at least for me.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 AM

I have bought only a couple kits, from Joann's and only because they were on a really cheap clearance price. I have almost completed one of them. It was ok to work on and easy to work with

My idea about using kits - my favorite part of making a quilt is the creativity of the process. Choosing the fabric and the pattern to go with it, and choosing which fabric is going where. Using a kit eliminates that creativity!