Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Value of a kit vs purchasing yardage for the pattern >

Value of a kit vs purchasing yardage for the pattern

Value of a kit vs purchasing yardage for the pattern

Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 AM
QKO

Kits aren't for everyone - many quilters like the thrill of the search, seeking out coordinating fabrics for their projects, shopping their stash along with the shops, making things uniquely their own. Others like to start with a blank canvas and create projects totally from their imaginations. Some like being able to replicate a finished project that they fall in love with. Still others like to start with a foundation and expand on it. There is no wrong or right way to start a project, but if you decide a kit is for you, a few words about quilt kits...

1) Buying kits are a great way to get coordinated colors in your quilt. Do look though, to make sure the maker of your kit has successfully put together fabrics that do work together. Many shops will throw together fabrics from different manufacturers and lines, and often the feel/hand and quality of some of the fabrics aren't the same as others in the kit.

Other shops will put together kits made from the various fabrics within a single manufacturers line, and also will use the same manufacturer's blenders in the kit. Since most fabric manufacturers use a standard dye palette, this ensures that you get matched and coordinated colors and fabrics that go together well.

2) Shops will often buy pre-made kits from the manufacturers and re-sell them. These are coordinated with fabrics from the same lines, but often the manufacturers' kits are cut really closely with no additional inches given for straightening the pattern, or in case you make minor cutting errors. A few manufacturers, esp the often-mentioned CT, are pretty generous with their cuts, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

3) If you want a coordinated backing, or extra fabric for your project, think seriously about buying it when you buy the kit. Most printed fabrics have a short run, popular fabrics sell out quickly, so you are likely not to be able to find those fabrics if you wait at all before constructing the project.

4) If you have an issue with a kit, ALWAYS contact the place who sold it to you. Mistakes in cutting can be made, or patterns can be wrong, and a reputable seller will stand behind the kit. They're also the ones most likely to have replacement or additional fabric on hand.

5) Before you buy a kit, ASK the seller if they've walked through the pattern and checked it for errors. Finding and correcting errors in patterns is part of the kit sellers job, and this should be done in advance before the kit is released for sale.

6) Don't be afraid to discuss, with the person who put the kit together, any changes or customizations you'd like to implement in your version of the project. Often that person can be a great resource to bounce your ideas off of, and can assist you in getting the right fabrics to customize your project.

Kits are a good way to cut down on shopping expense and time, or to source a coordinated set of fabrics that you otherwise would have difficulty finding. Completing the exact project that the kit is designed for isn't a requirement, it's a choice! You might decide to use the fabrics for something completely different and unique and that's totally OK! Have fun with it!

Last edited by QKO; 09-24-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM

I only buy kits when I absolutely love the fabrics used - A lot of the time I like to search for my own fabrics so it just depends on the kit and the circumstances.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM

I'm too independent to use kits. The most fun for me is picking out my own colors, and most often I design my own or tweak a pattern. Recently someone told me she bought two kits from Keepsake and did not get enough fabric. Also, some quilt shows don't allow you to display kit quilts, such as Billings Farm Museum which I enter most years. I can see the value for some, but have never used one so far. But never say never.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

I go to quilt retreats during the year and many open sew days. I have a stockpile of kits on hand to just grab and go. No having to pick and pack fabric is a time saver. I have McKenna Ryan, Kaffe Fasset, Jinny Beyer and lots of CT quilt kits in my stash, all bought on clearances. One day I may not be able to shop or buy so I'm prepared.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:32 AM

For those of you who purchase kits and report that the yardage provided is at least adequate for the project ... does this include pre-washing the fabric?

For many reasons, I cannot bring myself to sew with fabric that has not been pre-washed.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:05 PM

I've used three or four kits, all from LQSs. I always wash my fabric. I had plenty of fabric in all cases - two actually had extra fat quarters in them for variety. Yardage was cut straight. No problems whatsoever. I think you just have to know your seller. That being said, I love buying fabric and putting together just the right choices for a pattern. I often visit four or five shops to find what I want, so buying a kit saves lots of shopping time if you are happy with the fabric choices they have made.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:50 PM

I don't buy kits because I always want to make a quilt bigger than was available in a kit. I've received 2 of them. I made up one and added several fabrics to make a bigger quilt. The second one I haven't done yet. I will probably try to add borders to make that quilt bigger.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:27 PM

I agree with Bellaboo, I love Connecting Threads for kits and batting (on sale). Their kits have plenty of material and if there is a problem with a kit, they send anyone who purchased the kit an email explaining the issue (larger triangles or more squares need to be made, etc.). They have great quality and free shipping over $50.00 ( that is two queen battings when it is on sale plus a tad bit of material).
Old 09-25-2013, 12:16 AM

I purchased a kit a few years ago from NEC show in Birmingham . I quality of the fabric was fantastic and lovely. I did buy quilt double bed size but decided to make it into a door hanging. The fabric of course I had left has now been used in so many other quilts.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:42 AM

For me fun of the chase in finding just the right fabrics for a project is greater than my desire to make a particular design just like one I saw somewhere.

There was one gorgeous quilt displayed at the first show I ever attended that I fell in love with. However the sticker shock from the cost of the kit nipped that one in the bud right off the bat!

I have a rather extensive stash, but it was accumulated over a lot of years and in most cases only a few pieces at a time. So when I get ready to make something I can shop my stash first then add the individual fabrics necessary to do whatever I'm contemplating, usually without a great deal of expense at any one time.

So I'm just not one to purchase kits.