Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Velvet quilts >

Velvet quilts

Velvet quilts

Old 12-13-2006, 02:41 PM

I was given a lot of velvet. Can this be used in quilting. If so what pattern do you think I should use. Thanks

Mary
Old 12-13-2006, 05:03 PM

I would defintely go with a crazy quilt. They are beautiful, soft, femine, and you can go Crazy with stitches and all kinds of differnt add on's. You can applique girlie things, add beads ribbons, lace, victorian buttons. If thats not your thing then pick what appeals to your femine side and go with it. But I vote for a crazy quilt.

BECKY
Old 12-13-2006, 07:48 PM

I agree with Becky. I think velvet would be great for a crazy quilt. You could also add some satin and brocade fabric if you want some variety.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:57 PM

Third vote for Crazy! If you stitch by machine, now's the time to find all the fun stitch patterns and have a real Create Fest. Break out the notions box and embellish with small beads, charms or what-not. There's even a method for embossing velvet with a hot iron; you might want to try that on a few pieces before cutting and sewing. Have fun with it!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:02 AM

I say “Amen” to all the posts! Now, if you do not like crazy quilting … just mail everything to me! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :shock:
Lucia
Old 12-14-2006, 08:14 AM

I like the crazy quilt, too. I used to have a velvet one made of 6" squares that were embellished lke that, and it was pretty, too. I did the embossing on a velvet stool. That was fun. :D
Old 12-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Hi,

Crazy quilts are a good way to go, but also, depending on your size, you could blend it with a photo quilt and highlight some really neat vintage, historical, or family photos. If it were me, I would make a Memory Quilt!

I saw one done like this at the Clark County Fair (in Washington state) a couple of years ago and the ladies (sisters) who did this found 4x6 family photos, called one of their pc savvy grandkids and changed them from black & white to Sepia tones. They did a 'crazy' frame around each photo for about 20 quilt squares. Then, they used some satin for sashing with velvet squares marking the corners of the sashing. It got blue ribbons for creativity, honorable mention, and mixed media! :P It took these two old dears about a year.

Have fun and remember - do something that inspires you! :lol:
Old 07-24-2011, 03:51 PM

I love the velvet Puff quilts. I wanted to make one for years but costs too much to purchase the velvet. However the beautiful puff velvet quilt I saw several years ago was between $400 and $500 plus tax. Good luck with whatever you choose. It will be beautiful.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:54 PM

Biscuit quilts are lovely in velvet.