Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vent: Joann's Store >

Vent: Joann's Store

Vent: Joann's Store

Old 06-15-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
You know I thought that a business had to provide a restroom to anyone because of the ADA act. (Americans with Disabilities). Thought it was a law. Guess they are above the law.
Any business open to the public DOES have to provide bathroom access for customers, handicapped or not.
Unless it is located in a mall that has public restrooms for all shoppers. You should call your City or Township and let them know about the denial, they can be cited by the Health or code enf. dept. if they don't allow access.
I don't know if that is true in all states. I believe that if you SERVE FOOD you MUST by law offer a rest room so that people can wash their hands. A restroom in a store is a convenience, not a requirement, I think. And having had to CLEAN up after the public in restrooms, ask me why some stores don't offer them? Feces on the WALLS anyone? (toilet paper WAS available, btw) Blood dripping down the toilet seats, projectile diarrhea all over the toilet?

Uh, do you treat your home toilet that way? If you are sick, or having 'problems' have the common courtesy to clean up after your A%$

:oops:

* NOT directed to ANYONE on this thread. Just to the world at large. :mrgreen:
Old 06-15-2010, 07:07 AM

Alright...I was going to keep my mouth shut on this subject...but I just can't any more. I agree that customers should not be treated poorly. It seems to me that this whole topic has gotten a bit out of hand. We all have bad customer service at some point or another, at whatever store we go to. I understand that this is a quilting site, so Jo-Ann's just becomes the easy place to complain about, because it is something we have in common.
What I ask you to think about... everyone that works at Jo-Ann's (or any where else for that matter) is a human being, prone to having off days and making mistakes. Yes, I understand that some of you have repeatedly had bad experiences, which speaks to the management of the store. Are there bad managers and bad employees? Of course, just like there are in any other retail store. I'm sorry to hear that prices have rung up wrong, or coupons not used on the items you want them to be used on, or things on sale when you want to use a coupon, it stinks. Just keep an eye on how things are ringing up. We should all be doing this wherever we shop anyways, we could save ourselves so much money. However, please have some mercy for the people that cut your fabric, try to help you in the store, and ring you out at the register. The system isn't always perfect. They are only human, and are doing the best they can. Do you like it when people get snotty or rude with you? No? Neither do the staff at Jo-Ann's. People in retail take a lot of abuse, and are expected to not take it personally and just put on a smile. All while making minimum wage, or barely over it.
The next time you go shopping, whether it be at Jo-Ann's or anywhere else, reflect on how YOU are feeling. Are you pressed for time? Depressed or anxious? etc etc? Is that going to cause you to have a bad experience, no matter what?
While I don't think any customer should be treated poorly, ever, we have to remember that as humans, our emotions have a large impact on those around us, even if we have never met them before.
My last point...if you have repeated problems with a store employee, manager, or etc, bring it up to the management. If the store manager doesn't seem to care, get the name of the district manager, and if that manager doesn't care, go to the regional manager, etc etc. Document what happened at each step. There are some truly bad managers and employees, but don't let them ruin your whole day, week, or month. If it truly is horrible every time you go in, don't shop there any more.
YOU are in charge of how you feel, how you act, etc. Don't let something someone else does or doesn't do have such a large effect on how you feel.
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, as this was not my intent, I just wanted us all to take a deep breath! Let's all remember that we are all human, and to treat others the way we would want to be treated!
I'm off my soapbox now, so sorry this post was so long!
Have a wonderful week, everyone.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:21 AM

[quote=aliaslaceygreen]
Originally Posted by TexasGurl
You know I thought that a business had to provide a restroom to anyone because of the ADA act. (Americans with Disabilities). Thought it was a law. Guess they are above the law.
Any business open to the public DOES have to provide bathroom access for customers, handicapped or not.
Unless it is located in a mall that has public restrooms for all shoppers. You should call your City or Township and let them know about the denial, they can be cited by the Health or code enf. dept. if they don't allow access.
I don't know if that is true in all states. I believe that if you SERVE FOOD you MUST by law offer a rest room so that people can wash their hands. A restroom in a store is a convenience, not a requirement, I think.

Actually, it IS a requirement - and not just for food establishments.
Any store personnel who says it is not, is either misinformed or just lying. ALL states have adopted codes that govern this - the national building code (IBC) which includes plumbing & accessibility req. for the public, plus state health codes. Cities, townships & counties are responsible for enforcing the codes.

The IBC states that: "Customers, patrons & visitors shall be provided with public toilet facilities in structures and tenant spaces intended for public utilization."

(The only exception being stores located in malls w central restrooms.)
So Ladies, the next time store staff tells you NO, tell THEM you will report it to your city / local authority.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Administrator

to lock or not to lock? that is the question.

the originator of the topic asked pages and pages ago that we just let this drop. but the haters kept piling on. not satisifed with complaining about joann's, they dragged hancock's into it, too.

so why didn't i lock it ages ago, even though the origninator asked me to? because i just know that as soon as i do, somebody is going to start it all over again in another post.

but ... what the heck. somebody write down the time. it's 11:22am, Eastern US Daylight Savings Time. let's see how long it is before somebody starts this over again someplace else. my bet is ... less than 3 hours. :roll: