Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very BASIC embroidery machine questions. >

Very BASIC embroidery machine questions.

Very BASIC embroidery machine questions.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200

Fabricluvr....I received your package and thank you. Also, tried it and can't get it to work on my puter. I'll try it on a regular player I hve with the tv when I figure out how to use it. I am stubborn as a mule so says the hubby, so I'll get it figured out!!!
not surprised it won't work on the computer. i recorded it on our DVD player (hooked to the tv). hopefully i finalized it correctly. let me know if it won't work with your other DVD player. i tested it on one of our other DVD players and it seemed fine.

glad you got a hoop! the President's Day Sale at Jo-anns has thread 50% off. they have the Coats and Clark bobbin thread. that would make it really reasonable! i think the notions wall is 50% off, too (needles and stabilizers).
Old 02-04-2009, 01:52 PM

I have 50.00 worth of gift cards to Joann's. One from Christmas, one from my birthday (last spring). I made sure to ask if they would expire. I'm waiting, rather impatiently, for the Presidents Day sale as I have quilting stuff to get too. I'm also going to use the 10%off total purchase coupon as well.

My NotSecret Santa gave me a thread case with 104 spools or partials spools of Silky (I think) embroidery thread of every color on the planet. I also have quite an assortment of stabilizers thanks to her as well. I can't believe all the stuff she put aside for me.

I know I should get some kind of needle, because the machine didn't come with one, and I know I have to get the bobbin out to buy more and I have to get some bobbin thread too.

This machine hasn't been used in about 2 years or so. Does it need to be cleaned, oiled, maintenanced once a year like a sewing machine does? Do you think I should have that done first before I start playing??

Melissa
Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

I have been at the embroidery work for almost 15 years, I started with a Janome and now have a fondness for Brother. I have 2 brothers, an older one and the PR620. I am mostly self taught, what works for some doesn't work for all, so mostly it is a matter of finding out what works for you. I mostly practice on teatowels, especially if I am playing with colors, and they make good gifts if they work out.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:53 PM

Last time I posted on this I was trying to get Amazing Max to work. I finally did. I love it. It is amazing. You can buy bobbins at Walmart for Brother machines & they work for Babylock as well. You need to use neddles made for embroidery. Babylock uses Schmertz. You need to use the 90 jeans needle. It works best. You will have to get at Hancocks or Joanns cause Wally World doesn't have them. Don't use the 110 needle they are too big. Been learning alot about stablizing at class. Questions, just ask maybe I can help.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:31 AM

Oh my goodness a huge thank-you to all of you that posted in this thread...I have learned through all of you...but I was sorry there weren't more pages to the conversation...I have a white 4400 that I have yet to learn how to use...yep scared to death I will break it...Melissa are you still a member , if so hows it going w/ your new toy...thank-you for posting all the questions that you did-I have learned so much from all the answers.
thanks again :)
Old 11-12-2009, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I played some with a friends Babylock (Brother) machine prior to buying a machine for myself. There was a device that you can hook up to your computer where you can download designs, then you put them on the "card" and plug that into the machine. It was really easy and of course...fun! Good luck with your new baby!
I have the PED basic and it works very well....bought it on ebay for about $100. comes with one card and I have a place on my computer I download designs and transfer them to the card. BTW....allbrands.com/sewforum has a ton of designs you can download for free....forum like this one...you'd never run out :roll:
Old 11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by craftiladi
Oh my goodness a huge thank-you to all of you that posted in this thread...I have learned through all of you...but I was sorry there weren't more pages to the conversation...I have a white 4400 that I have yet to learn how to use...yep scared to death I will break it...Melissa are you still a member , if so hows it going w/ your new toy...thank-you for posting all the questions that you did-I have learned so much from all the answers.
thanks again :)

There are several people here that do embroidery, like I said, I have brothers, but a lot of things translates over to other machines like hooping etc, if you are needed help in a certain area, just ask, I am sure that someone should be able to come up with an answer, sometimes it is easier in person but we seem to muddle through some how.

I have the PE Design 7, it is great, I can do all sorts of things with it. but it was definitely more then $100. :D
Old 11-12-2009, 12:31 PM

I have a 440QEE it has been a great machine.I added the V.5 software,But we just had our quilt show here in Lake Havasu City a few days ago, My husband went to the dealer during the show that we bought my machine from to see his display, seems like HE fell in love with the new 830, My dealer made us such a great deal I am now going back to Flagstaff to get the new 830 and to trade in my other one in a few days, All of my software and feet will fit as well as the hoops,, But my husband says I will have to give up our honeymoon trip to the islands, Oh well I'll take a new sewing machine any day B.E.G.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:38 PM

I forgot to tell you that I won second place in the peoples choice at the show, The quilt was all hand appliqued and hand quilted , :roll: double bed size called the tree of life, The kit was about 30 years or more old , Do you really think I even need a sewing machine at all???
Old 11-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Still a member??? Of course, I still have so much to learn; but sometimes I can even post tips now!

I used my embroidery machine all of one time. Still can't figure it out or get the owner's manual. At some point when things calm down at work, I'm going to have to find the time for a one day class at the local dealer. I did purchase a hoop made for the machine, and it has a few built in stitches. I dont' want to buy a ped basic or anything like that until I figure out if it's really a hobby for me or not. At some point, it's possible I can get an upgrade. If I really fall in love with embroidery, I probably will.

I just wish I had the time to learn it now instead of it sitting in the box in my sewing room.....another someday project. :(