Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very BASIC embroidery machine questions. >

Very BASIC embroidery machine questions.

Very BASIC embroidery machine questions.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:50 PM

Contact Babylock to see about getting a manual. They are very helpful. I own 5 Babylock machines and they are the best!
Consumer Help Line:
1-800-313-4110
http://www.babylock.com
Old 11-14-2009, 06:34 AM

My local repair shop has an embroidery machine for 250 and the box for 200. The machine comes with 2 hoops.
I know they have new machines for 700.
Which is the best way to go?
Also there are a couple of sites for manuals, I dont remember them but it wasnt hard to find them, they want 10 dollars for copies.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Is the new one the same as the one for 250? what kind of warenty does the shop give on used machines? It also depends on how much in your budget, don't forget to add in the cost of thread (you will need a variety of colors) and stabalizer, do you have matching bobbins already at home? or are you going to need to buy a few more? (the stores are more likely to throw in a few things if you buy new, of course you are already spending more)
Old 11-15-2009, 07:20 AM

No the used one dosnt look like the newer ones but it has a nice size screen. It looks out of date so I am leary. The sales lady did say they give lessons free on how to use it.
I really would like to get one with the big hoops but they cost so much that it is impossible for me to buy one.
I wish I had looked at the brand name on it. They had several used ones but more expensive than this one.
This is a large shop that has a repair area and a large longarm sales area and a huge fabric and new machine area.
I dont know about a warranty but great idea, I will ask.
I know how expensive embroidery can get from looking at all the stuff you need to have.
My bobbins are for my large machine and will not fit others.
Thanks for the info I never thought of all those questions.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Nzm

I was wondering if anyone has used the Magna hoop. I am going to buy the Brother Duetta 4500D [great deal coming up next week for Black Friday] and thought I would like to get the Magna Hoop for doing quilts. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Old 11-15-2009, 12:32 PM

Since we 1st started this post last year I have now traded my Babylock Ellure Plus in & got the Babylock Elleago. Oh my gosh is this a Lexus or what. I love it. Can now plug in flashdrive or memory card or down load from computer. It is so neat & I love the regular sewing as well. I asked too about the Magna Hoop & lady at dealer said she didn't really like them & you had to be real careful not to hit the metal plates & break needle. I'm not sure what her problem is as I think the consept is great. See if you can try out one before you buy & ask on board if anybody has one. I found out about Accicut fabric cutter from another member. That would be your best bet. I got the deal of the century on my new machine. They gave me a great trade in price & this is the time of year Babylock has there big sale. Christmas & birthday came early for me.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:54 PM

I went on a sewing cruise in September to the Mexican Riviera, Did a lot of embroidery and sewing on that same machine you just bought, what an easy machine to use , There was 35 of us doing several projects at the same time , the embroidery is easy and beautiful,most of us had never used a machine like that before, ,the screen is so easy to read, I loved every part of that machine , Congrats !!! I already had the Bernina 440 and felt I could not spend that much more money on another machine, But as it happened when we had the quilt show here last week my dealer in Flagstaff offered me the new 830 at a good price and was willing to give me back every dime I paid for the 440 so next Tuesday I will go to Flagstaff and pick up my new machine, can hardly wait to get it
Old 11-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Just reread your post, we used the mega hoop for doing embroidery on Backpacks and large hand bags, it was so easy,and if you have to stop to put more thread in the bobbin, and have to take your embroidery off to do so, no worry ,the embroidery picks up right where you left off, did some beautiful cut work lace on the machine too, we did an outline then cut out the center and made a huge lace rose in the center, it turned out beautiful, we put it on one of those pashmere shawls that you find in the airports for about $15.00, used the sticky paper to hold it down because you would not want to strech the pashmere because it would leave strech marks
Old 01-21-2010, 04:19 PM

You will enjoy the embroidery machine! My machine of over 30 years died on me (a couple of years ago). So, I had to go machine shopping. Well, after a lot of research and questions later. I bought a Singer Futura, it was the best that I could afford at the time.
I wasn't sure that I would like it or not (I've done enbroidery by hand since I was very young). WELL - I just LOVE it!! It took a little while of trial and error to get the hang of it - but, I just love it!!! And, Nancy's book is a great one for reference. Also, if your public TV station has any sewing shows on -- WATCH them and learn. I have learned a lot from them. I have a lot of them on tape to watch frequently when I have the time.
ENJOY your new toy! I use mine a lot for just plain sewing too, but, the bad part is that I can not sew when I am using it for embroidery! So, I just recently bought a Brother to use while I am embroidering with the Singer.
The emblibrary.com is a great site! They have free ones each month too, plus some for 17 cents. Also, embroidery.com is another good one - they will put the designs that you order onto a CD (for a fee of course) But, that is what I did when I first got started.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 PM

I too am very happy for you. Chances are there is some software coming with the machine, but if not there are several good software packages available.

I have the Husqvarna Viking Designer SE and the 4D Embroidery software.

My suggestion to you is to read the manual that comes with the machine, get that Nancy Zieman book, and then ask any and all questions you may have to this group. We are here to help in any way possible.

Most embroiderers use a 40wt embroidery thread, and bobbin thread which is a finer thread in the bobbin. Also, there are different stabilizers that you will need.

Trust me when I tell you that you are going to have so much fun with your new machine. It will open creative possiblilities galore. There are so many embroidery sites that have free designs available that we will tell you about to get you started.

I previously owned the Husqvarna Viking #1+ which used a reader/card writer box so I may be of some help in that area.

Let us all know what machine you receive so we can celebrate with you.