Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very last trip to Hancocks >

Very last trip to Hancocks

Very last trip to Hancocks

Old 07-22-2016, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
Is Hancoks of Paduca the same company? That online store has just revved up its sales and I definitely would hate to see them go out of business.
No, Hancock Fabrics is a different company and not affiliated with Hancocks of Paducah.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Our Hancocks are both closed now too... the last shutting the doors earlier this week. So very sad... I can't foresee another store like that opening. JoAnn's and HL have much less fabric and are more 'crafting' stores than sewing stores.

The ladies in our Hancocks have all been working there for many years... some 30 years! Most of them, getting older, have decided to take the opportunity to retire.

Hancocks has been a great resource through most of my adult life, and I will miss the stores and especially the ladies who worked there.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:33 AM

Only went to Hancock's twice in three years, the second and last time near the end of closing. Found more general sewing needs than quilting related. Sad to see the stores close though.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:19 AM

When we first moved to TX we had a Joann's in the mall about 20 miles from here; but a couple of years later it closed; nothing similar moved into it's spot. Years later we got a Hobby Lobby. There is nothing really close to where I live. I have to travel 45 to 60 miles to get to a nice quilt store. I liked the Hancock's but it was 45 to 50 miles from me; not very easy or quick to get to. I wish we'd get a local store in here. Everything is SO far apart - in Texas.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
Only went to Hancock's twice in three years, the second and last time near the end of closing. Found more general sewing needs than quilting related. Sad to see the stores close though.
The local Hancocks carried all kind of quilt rulers and notions, as well as a variety of books. Their line of cottons were called Absolutely Cotton (I think anyway). They also carried quilting cottons, their own line as well as Kona. Muslin in all widths, batting, interfacing, etc. Lots of other fabrics as well, including my favorite the heavier weight fabric I could use for my cushion covers.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Our Hancocks are both closed now too... the last shutting the doors earlier this week. So very sad... I can't foresee another store like that opening. JoAnn's and HL have much less fabric and are more 'crafting' stores than sewing stores.

The ladies in our Hancocks have all been working there for many years... some 30 years! Most of them, getting older, have decided to take the opportunity to retire.

Hancocks has been a great resource through most of my adult life, and I will miss the stores and especially the ladies who worked there.
To me Hancocks offered a little of something for everyone (even some home dec items which people didn't care for). Specialty stores are great, but you always need a general store for notions (I don't want to buy everything online...geez!)
Old 07-23-2016, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanBech View Post
I really love buying fabric at Hobby Lobby. They have lots of wonderful novelty fabrics, and have a 30% off sale price nearly every day. Also, I get a 40% off one item on my phone that can be used once a day over and over on subsequent days. I pick out the most expensive piece of fabric, have them write the ticket for the yardage at its regular price, and then use the 40% on my phone for that one piece. They are happy to write up the ticket that way. I love everything about that store including the Christian music being played in the background as I shop.
I have done that on batting twice. I saved lots of money.
I learned on this board about doing that.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

I was cheated about 20 or so years ago at a Hancocks fabric. The woman did some fancy ringing up, subtracting and ringing up again. It was hard to tell what the prices should have been. That store closed not long after that.
I have not even thought of looking another one up.
I am happy with Wal Mart and Hobby Lobby. Also I have tons of fabric.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by sewnclog View Post
When we first moved to TX we had a Joann's in the mall about 20 miles from here; but a couple of years later it closed; nothing similar moved into it's spot. Years later we got a Hobby Lobby. There is nothing really close to where I live. I have to travel 45 to 60 miles to get to a nice quilt store. I liked the Hancock's but it was 45 to 50 miles from me; not very easy or quick to get to. I wish we'd get a local store in here. Everything is SO far apart - in Texas.
Not too much close here...joanns and hobby lobby is about 30 minutes away. Hancocks was 45 minutes but whenever we were in that area, we stopped there. But the area where joanns and hobby lobby are located is very very congested.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:15 PM

I worked at Hancock's and our store closed 4/28. They closed due to bankruptcy. Mismanagement in the upper office doesn't even begin to explain it! I loved shopping at Hancock's even before I work there.