Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A very new quilter needs advice >

A very new quilter needs advice

A very new quilter needs advice

Old 10-20-2013, 12:25 AM

I have multi quoted everyone in for a response as I am so thrilled to such wonderful caring responses to an obvious nervous newby
Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Two color quilts can be quite beautiful. Google "two color quilts" several images come up and you can see if it appeals to you.
thank you I will most definitely do that it is great advice and although I google most things - I hadnt even thought of that

Originally Posted by RST View Post
Of course it can work -- if that's what you want.

One thing to consider is that often a darker color serving as frame or outermost edge is most appealing. You might consider having your red as the outer border. It's also a practical matter-- the outer edge is most likely to get dirty, and cream will show dirt sooner.

You might enjoy drawing out your ideas on graph paper with colored pencils -- a tried and true design method.
I have graph paper and will do one or two of the blocks to get a 'feel' for the colour ways

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Oh honey, anything that makes you happy will work. No quilt police are allowed on this board so there are no rules to break here. What you talked about--large blocks with sashing between, should turn out simple but elegant and can be the canvas for some very interesting quilting. My only concern would be 'too much of a good thing'. You might get very tired of just cream and red.

What about exploring a complementary colour option. Maybe add some charcoal or black or figured fabric or a brilliant royal blue or....well just not limit yourself to two colours unless that is absolutely what your heart is set on.

Can't wait to see what you decide.
I have been thinking of adding a complimentary colour over night (UK here) and have almost decided to rethink the colour scheme = on the grounds that it would be so much cream and likely to get dirty and show that quite quickly - as it is for our bedroom - discussions are under way with DH who said I make the quilt and when (he actually said if - oh him of little faith) he will redecorate to match - he wants greys blacks and red I can live with that

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Here's the Google images page you are looking for:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...47.9LLCclC3p6U
thank you for the link off to google after I have responded to all

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
Two color quilts are beautiful, I hope to make one someday. But, I would wash the red first with a couple of color catchers, until the color catchers are no longer picking up any red dye.
that is a great tip and something I had not thought of - I like working on crisp new fabric but will zigzag and then wash all fabris first so they have all done any shrinking they need to do

Originally Posted by mdall View Post
Just as someone said before, no quilt police here. Two colors would work great. I would go for a tonal or blenders instead of just a plain fabric. It adds a little dimension without overtaking the design. Also, I would most definitely consider a red outside border instead of cream for the reason stated above. Maybe you could do a small inner border in cream if you really like the color. I would love to see the final product. Also, draw it out before starting so you know exactly where to place everything and you are sure you like it before piecing.
thank you so much great tips - I have a book I will be working from for a sampler quilt - the blocks get more challenging thoughout the book building on skills learn in previous blocks - so I will make them all and use the ones I want for the quilt and make cushions out of others - I will make up to 40 blocks so plenty to choose my favourites from

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
Your red & cream cushion will be divine - but please - wash that red fabric first - in hot water and Nappy San or similar, to get the excess dye out.
You don't want any red leaching into the cream with the first wash

Don't forget to post a pic when done
I had not thought of nappy san - will go google it and find out if sainsburys do it

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
How about something like this? http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patte...html?idx=15047 There are lots of other patterns, on the same site.

One bit of advice - make sure you prewash your fabric! Reds are often bleeders!
thank you off to see all links when I have finished posting - just wanted to thank you all before doing so

Originally Posted by narnianquilter View Post
I have said from day one: if the fabric will do it, I can do it. Look around at some of the links posted above if you don't have a clear picture of what you want, but if you do- GO FOR IT! There is no rules (except maybe to always prewash- and lets face it, even that can be negotiable!), and you can design, rip it out, redesign, whatever. This is supposed to be fun! Best advice I can give is enjoy it, and when you get to where you aren't, walk away and come back later. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
how wonderful is that - enjoy it and take a break if I am not - that is the same advice I give to new spinners (I spin yarn) but why oh why does it take others to remind us of what we know

again my sincere thanks to you all off to use google and click a few links
Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 AM

I noticed you were in the UK. Once your quilt is finished, or when you want to wash it, buy some colour catchers and throw 2/3 in the wash the first couple of times. You'll get these in your local pound shop called 'Colour Magnets' or similar, usually 12 to a box. Another alternative is Dylon, but these will be more expensive.
Happy quilting!
Old 10-20-2013, 05:25 AM

I have 2 three fabric quilts that I did when I was quite new to quilting....3 years ago. I am going to post them here, in case they give you ideas....not color idea, pattern ideas.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails blue-purple-quilt.jpg   green-pink-quilt.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Two color quilts are really beautiful!! Good luck would love to see pics when you are finished!!
Old 10-20-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
I noticed you were in the UK. Once your quilt is finished, or when you want to wash it, buy some colour catchers and throw 2/3 in the wash the first couple of times. You'll get these in your local pound shop called 'Colour Magnets' or similar, usually 12 to a box. Another alternative is Dylon, but these will be more expensive.
Happy quilting!
thanks for that I need to go to pound shop in the week to get cheap notebooks to cover for xmas so will get the colour magnets then all ready for after the weekend when I go to sturminster newton as they have a wonderful fabric store there - two hours there and another two back but so worth it

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I have 2 three fabric quilts that I did when I was quite new to quilting....3 years ago. I am going to post them here, in case they give you ideas....not color idea, pattern ideas.

Dina
Dina thanks for- the colour ideas - I love the simplicity for the few colours - patchwork is busy and too many colours are just not me - and definitely NOT DH so we need to compromise on what I produce (he said he would fund my hobby when I finish a project he will pay for what I have needed) he thinks I wont complete - little does he know

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
Two color quilts are really beautiful!! Good luck would love to see pics when you are finished!!
it will be a while but as its going to be a sampler quilt I can show each block as I do them now I hope they are photo worthy
Old 10-21-2013, 03:03 AM

Looking forward to pictures and have fun
Old 10-21-2013, 04:43 AM

As long as you enjoy making the blocks we will enjoy seeing them. Please post. (say's the lady that rarely post photos)
Old 10-21-2013, 05:48 AM

Here is a nice two color quilt.

http://cdn.allpeoplequilt.com/sites/...ec07lg_ss1.jpg
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 AM

That sounds like a beautiful quilt design.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:16 AM

Here's a super easy, super quick pattern - Rail Fence. You can do all sorts of things with it and totally change the look, just by the color selection and arrangement of the blocks. Using two colors and altering the proportions a bit, you can create a woven look. Here's a top, I finished last week. The seams aren't yet ironed, so it looks a bit puckering because the seams are sticking up, on the underside. I generally don't iron those last seams, until I'm ready to sandwich the quilt.

I'm trying to finish off a bunch of quilts, for Christmas giving. This pattern is soooo fast and easy, yet still looks as if one put time into it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442453[/ATTACH]

Other Rail Fence examples -
https://www.google.com/search?q=rail...g&ved=0CE0QsAQ
Attached Thumbnails railfencegnpurflower1.jpg  

Last edited by Neesie; 10-21-2013 at 06:22 AM.