Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: VERY user friendly machine

VERY user friendly machine

Hi, I know (or at least hope) that I will get a lot of opinions, however, that is what I am looking for. Currently I own a Bernina 640 but I am not finding it very user friendly. It might be because I am a slow learner or that I never got my classes but for whatever reason I'm not sure that it is the machine for me. I had the opportunity to watch a friend using her Viking Diamond and everything about it seemed like a breeze. My question is: what machine is recommend for someone who is not THAT experienced and is mostly self taught with just a few classes under her belt. Really want to progress in skill level and number of quilts made. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Power Poster
    I love my Bernina 440 and I took the free lessons. I also have Bernina club at the shop I bought it from that teaches a free technique every month. Buy a machine from a reputable shop that offers free lessons and lots of support.

I found the Janome 6600 to be very intuitive. The instruction book if you need it is short and sweet.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

SSK
    I just bought a Bernina 710 and am also having difficulties with it. I have had two demonstrations and one class so far. So easy at the store and get it home and it seems I get a block. I know I can do it, I figure if millions of other people can do it so can I. I am pretty good with the computer and taught myself to quilt so a little sewing machine computer isn't going to get me. I will keep with the lessons and hopefully.....
    I sure can feel what you are feeling but I don't think learning from the manual is easy. If I were you I would invest in some lessons at a dealer. Well worth it and no more frustration. (Well, I still am but not for long.) Keep plugging away and be patient, but most of all have fun. Let us know later how you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by newdoda View Post
    Currently I own a Bernina 640 but I am not finding it very user friendly. It might be because I am a slow learner or that I never got my classes but for whatever reason I'm not sure that it is the machine for me.
    Can you go back and take your classes? I have Bernina 440 and The classes made a TON of difference to me becoming comfortable with my machine. They are included in the cost of your machine and the dealer OWES them to you.

I bought my machine used, 1 year old, and it was shipped accross country to me. My local dealer has an "adoption" program if you did ot purchase from her. I paid to take the classes but it was worth every penny. If you do not live near the dealer you bought from (if you bought it new), perhaps the closest dealer to you would let you pay to take the classes from them. Berninas are great machines and I feel bad that you haven't been able to bond with yours. At the very least, download the My Bernina workbook and do the practice exercises.

http://www.keizerbernina.com/my-bernina-workbooks.htm
    Last edited by Skyangel; 05-22-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add link

Go back and get your classes!

I agree see if you can't get some help with your Bernina! Also check out the Bernina website they have a lot of videos and information out there. You can do it! My mom got an 830 (the new one) and she mastered it although she still hasn't gotten on a computer

I agree. Take the classes and put the practice samples in the manual.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Go back and get your classes!
    I second this!

I've never lived close enough to a shop to take classes of any kind. Are there videos or online classes available for these machines?

The classes are what let you really know your machine. This is true for most all machines. Granted some might work better for you and the way you think, but the rationale is the same.

Even the FW has some maintenance you should know.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I have had both bernina and Viking . It was also my experience that Bernina wasn't user friendly. My Viking I learned from manual as it is easy to use. Most joann stores has the husquavarnaviking dealership located within their store . They have models to fit all needs. Stop in and try some out. They have free classes also if you feel you need them. I gave my bernina away. I also have a Janome gem that I piece with and take to classes that is easy to use. It is very light weight. Try several out and see which one you like.

I'm so sorry that you haven't bonded with your Bernina. They really are super machines. The classes will help you so much. The Bernina workbook was a wonderful idea. Try that and see if you can get more at ease with it. The 640 is a real workhorse! Also, you might go to the Through the Needle magazines. Google them. They are online now, and they have a lot of projects to do with Bernina machines. Good luck to you.

If it weren't for the free machine usage classes offered by my dealer, I'd be lost as well! They even let you take the classes if you bought elsewhere (great marketing - gets you in the door, and then you sign up for more classes, and then buy the supplies needed, and then see all the other machines your fellow classmates are using and then you find the bigger/better machine that you just have to have!).

I think there is a learning curve no matter what the brand or model - my Pfaff Ambition was very easy to learn & fun to use!
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

I just read the manual and use it. Any machine is easy to use and all regular machines work the same. After sewing over 50 years, I don't take classes. Learned to sew in school and that was it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I think Brother and Babylock machines are the most user-friendly. Take a look at one of them if you have a dealer nearby.

Don't try to learn everything at once. Start with the basics that you will need to know to get started. Get familiar with your machine, and then learn as you go. Take the clasees, but before you do, have a notebook and write down questions as you sew, that you can ask your instructor.

Is your machine the one that was from the 1960's and very heavy!

It is a workhorse if it is.

Bernina's are not the most user friendly, they usually require classes. If you are looking for simple right out of the box anyone can use it user friendly brothers and babylocks can't be beat. Here's why they make so many types of products that they make it so easy that anyone can use it. I used my TOL embroidery machine out of box with little trouble. I would take your classes for your bernina and if after that you still aren't enjoying it you can always sell it and try something new. There will always be someone willing to take a bernina off your hand if you don't want it. maybe it just isn't the brand for you. There is no one brand for everyone, and sewing should be fun, you shouldn't have to get frustrated
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I would also recommend reading the owner's manual. You may find what you need there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I would take your classes for your bernina and if after that you still aren't enjoying it you can always sell it and try something new.
    I agree.. a lot of skills transfer from one machine to another, and if your machine isn't working for you after you've taken a class to learn how to use it, there's really nothing wrong with trying another. Understanding how top thread and bobbin tension work together as well as understanding how a variety of stitches work for a variety of sewing tasks is really the basis of basic sewing skills, and it shouldn't be a frustrating process.

Blog Entries
    I love my Brother machines! If they hadn't been user friendly, I would really have been lost.

How about trading in your Bernina and getting a Viking? Seems like you bonded well with it. A sewing machine is like a car - you have to drive it to know if you like it. And what works for one just doesn't work for another.

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I have the viking diamond. It is easy to use...but I leave it for 1/2 of the year. So the learning begins anew each spring!! The people at the store where I bought it are so helpful. If I get stuck on something they walk me through it on the phone. The actual machine is easy...the software for embroidery is what I have trouble with . I do love this machine!!

I don't understand having to go to a class to learn how to use a sewing machine. After you have threaded one, there seems to be little difference in any other machine. At least not the ones I have tried. The different bobbin positions might cause a little angst, but you could learn that quickly from the person who gives you possession of the machine. (Or a friend.)

Having said that, I find that the Bernina manual is the thing that is less than user friendly. I usually am able to pick up things by reading, but in that manual, what I want is hard to find. I have my index all marked up so I can find things that are not listed separately in the index.

I still love my Bernina 440, and have been taking it to classes. I'm still able to lift and carry it....yet.
    TODAY I'm on my way to pick up my 1951 anniversary Featherweight! ! ! ! !
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast