Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VERY VERY IMPPORTANT trojan virus >

VERY VERY IMPPORTANT trojan virus

VERY VERY IMPPORTANT trojan virus

Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by lots2do
Thank you TaliaRose!
No problem - feel free to PM me at anytime with questions!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:55 PM

I use Google Chrome.......cool browser and BellaBoo is right!

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I use Google Chrome browser, the websites won't load that has a virus or a hacked website and alerts me there is one. Never had an alert here at all. you can disable flash and not even see the ads. Check you browser version and it it's an old version download the new one. If using IE you need version 9 and version 10 is in beta testing.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I use Google Chrome browser, the websites won't load that has a virus or a hacked website and alerts me there is one. Never had an alert here at all. you can disable flash and not even see the ads. Check you browser version and it it's an old version download the new one. If using IE you need version 9 and version 10 is in beta testing.
I use Chrome as well - however, the malware that i contracted yesterday went through all of my virus protectors and pretended to be a MS product. It had fake MS logos and each time I tried to cancel it or get rid of it, it downloaded again. It kept trying to direct me to buy virus protection because it maintained it had scanned my machine and found multiple trojans. The instigators were obviously after my credit card details. I spent the whole night cleaning it up and have a new virus protector as the malware has prevented my present virus protectors from functioning correctly. I informed MS who was very quick to assist and install updates this morning. The protectors are constantly having to update each time a new nuisance is invented.So I warn you to be careful of fake products which try to replicate the look of the product.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:29 AM

I use McAfee Total Protection and my computer has been fine.

Originally Posted by kim_s
I have a little netbook that I use and for the past 2 days it has been really slow. I mentioned it to my husband last night and he figured there was probably a virus. This site and yahoo email are the only sites I use on the netbook so I probably also rolled over one of the ads. I don't have any virus protection on it but will load today and run a scan. Makes me want to get a Mac sometimes.....
Old 04-16-2011, 04:21 AM

well, i just got my computer back from shop. i have been using the free avg virus. so evidently it didn't work and i had a terrible virus called MS RECOVERY TOOL. ihave no idea where i got it but i visit this site everyday - mostly just reading and enjoying. i don't know that much about things TO DO or NOT TO DO or how to change a browser setting. that's all greek to me . anyhow it wanted me to
buy something for $70.00 and of course at least i knew better than to do that. my computer was doing all kinds of crazy things like freezing up, knocking me off etc. it kept telling me i had 38 infections which the guy at the computer shop verified. he cleaned it all up. i'm always very careful what i click on. i would never have thought that one could get a virus by running your mouse over a flashing ad. but maybe that is how i got my virus . i've been wondering how i got it. i noticed some of you agree with that and some of you don't. and i'm not that smart about computers to figure anything like that out. but all is working now with no pop ups. i'm so glad to get computer back from shop and so glad to not have to buy a new one. the place I took it is wonderful. the man also loaded a different free virus protection for me -it's called avast. he told me it would work for one year then i might want to buy Norton anti-virus. i've had this dell computer about 3 or 4 years and this was first time i've had it into shop. sure glad there's so many smart people on this site. i just love reading everything on here, sure helps me out. thanks to all.
donna
Old 04-16-2011, 04:43 AM

The best way to keep from getting a virus on your computer is to make sure you have all the latest updates for your operating system and security software. I teach embroidery software classes and have seen so many people hit the "remind me later" button when their computer wants to update.
Also, Microsoft now has a security software called Microsoft Security Essentials. It works on 7, Vista, and XP. It is free, but it really works. I have it on all the work computers. I had it on my laptop for about a year before I did that.
I always update when my computer says it has updates. I make sure my virus software is always current. I have never had a virus. I have had a personal computer for 28 years.
Do those updates when they are available, not later.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:13 AM

Thanks, I've had it 2 times this week. Very annoying.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:27 AM

HAD it happen to my computer also, it is now being repaired for a fan that quit working, fortunately my virus program trapped the trojan virus. Be careful what you click on!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by juliea9967
The best way to keep from getting a virus on your computer is to make sure you have all the latest updates for your operating system and security software. I teach embroidery software classes and have seen so many people hit the "remind me later" button when their computer wants to update.
Also, Microsoft now has a security software called Microsoft Security Essentials. It works on 7, Vista, and XP. It is free, but it really works. I have it on all the work computers. I had it on my laptop for about a year before I did that.
I always update when my computer says it has updates. I make sure my virus software is always current. I have never had a virus. I have had a personal computer for 28 years.
Do those updates when they are available, not later.
thanks for that information also. i've just had a computer since 1999 - that would be about 12 years, but i was 62 then, am 74 now. it's a lot more difficult to learn computers and embroidery and quilting etc when you didn't grow up with it and got all of them later in life. i made my first quilt about 4 years ago. but i am sure hooked on all of it! sometimes i'll have the embroidery machine going and i'll be quilting on lizzie. i don't cook any more, just eat junk food, just don't have time for unnecessary things like cooking and cleaning.
donna
Old 04-16-2011, 06:06 AM

Last yr a friend of mine & I both had our computers infected by a virus through an ad that Yahoo didn't screen properly. We had both clicked the little "x" to get rid of the ad & instead it downloaded a virus. Yahoo apologized later, but didn't offer to reimburse anyone for the $100 computer repair bill. These creeps are getting sneakier & sneakier all the time!